Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

NEQ6 Dec play.

redfox1971

Hello i have been trying to get my worm drives better on my skywatcher neq6 pro mount i have followed astro babys guide and have got the Ra adjusted with out any problems but when i run the same method on the Dec axis and then test the rotation using the motor it starts to lock up just quarter the way around so i adjusted were it started locking up witch seems to have fixed it only thing now is that the gears are quite noisy unlike the Ra,Could the problem be that i need to maybe lossen off the worm end float when it started locking up on my first try? Has anybody had the same issue.

The worm end float collar only needs to be tight enough to take out the slack, and not really any tighter, many people tighten these right up, and that can distort the bearing and cause problems like yours, in fact in the Astro Baby guide it says to tighten the end float until it locks the axis, and then loosen a little, well I think this is wrong, as at the point you tighten enough to lock the axis, you could have then already damaged the bearing and pushed out of shape slightly, so beware of this.. :)

It’s the same with the RA bearing locking collar on the weight bar shaft, this again only needs to be tight enough to remove any slack and maybe 1/8 of a turn more..

Thanks for the help Light bucket i tried to lossen the collar but seems very tight to undo weather these have some kind of thread lock applied from new i'm not sure i will have to either make a tool to get it loose or by the proper tool from flo think i have a old pair of circlip plies that i can file flat to fit the slots that may work.

12 hours ago, redfox1971 said:

Thanks for the help Light bucket i tried to lossen the collar but seems very tight to undo weather these have some kind of thread lock applied from new i'm not sure i will have to either make a tool to get it loose or by the proper tool from flo think i have a old pair of circlip plies that i can file flat to fit the slots that may work.

Yes, I have the proper tool, which does make life much easier. Bought mine from Rowan Engineering

22 hours ago, redfox1971 said:

Some mounts do have thread lock and some don't.  Mine unfortunately did and I had to apply a bit of heat using one of those 'pencil blow torches' , then it was relatively easy to remove the collar using one of those purpose built removal tools.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I have noticed my NEQ6 DEC play yesterday night, never noticed it before... I presume, it showed up as temp was close to 0.

Just a quick question, -  is it usual to have a slight Dec play in winter?

P.S.

I have not noticed any major problems in guiding, however I have a feeling,  - in the opposite side of the meridian, mount started to miss the target more often.

not completely miss, but it is not so precise like before.

I would not like to tighten Dec now to loosen it month later...

Plus, I am not yet mentally ready to play with this kind of stuff as I afraid to damage the gears.

P.P.S

Nothing in RA... strange

Edited by RolandKol