Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

mftoet

Faint Molecular Clouds in Cepheus: MBM 163 - 166 (Magnani, Blitz & Mundy), LBN 569

Rarely imaged Molecular Clouds in Cepheus: MBM 163 - 166 (Magnani, Blitz & Mundy), LBN 569 (Lynds' Catalogue of Bright Nebulae) and probably others...

Centre of field: RA 22h12' DEC +81°10' 

Exposure time: 26 hours, 30 minutes (5 min. subs)
Optics: Takahashi Epsilon-180ED f/2.8
Camera: Nikon D810a (ISO 400)
Mount: Astro-Physics Mach1 GTO
SQM: 21.4 - 21.7 magnitude/arcsec²
Date: August 6, 8, 10, 11, 13 & 17, 2018

Data reduction / pre-processing with Astro Pixel Processor, post-processing in Photoshop CC.

https://www.mauricetoet.nl/DeepSky/i-5Z9v6J4/A

mbm165_318x300s_20180806-X4.jpg

https://www.mauricetoet.nl/DeepSky/i-GgxGf8N/A

mbm165_318x300s_20180806_mono-X4.jpg

Edited by mftoet
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Wow--26 hours with the TAK Epsilon....about as deep as it gets.  Beautiful.

Rodd

• Like 1

Maurice, looks fantastic. Always great to see new objects like this (and so nicely executed). You have captured such intricate details in the nebulosity and those razorsharp diffraction spikes are icing on the cake!

Pieter

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your comments! Always much appreciated.

It's nice and fun to find and try out something new on the area of deep sky astrophotography. I 'discovered' this area simply by browsing / exploring the Aladin Sky Atlas. Last February I tried out a part of this area using the digitized POSS-II data (red and blue plates). Now I can show my result and that of the 48-inch f/2.5 Oschin Schmidt Telescope side-by-side.

mbm165_318x300s_20180806_POSS-II-X3.jpg

Using the Aladin Sky Atlas, I also made an annotated version. Not sure of the other nebulous structures are catalogued. Planetary Nebula IC 1454 also happens to be in the field of view.

mbm165_318x300s_20180806_annotated-X3.jp

Edited by mftoet
  • Like 8

Wow - What an incredible image... and so beautifully processed.  Congratulations on such a superb result :).

• Like 1

Worthy of an APOD!

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

Maurice was just down the road doing this one and he was clearly up to something! (He was unusually cagey, let me tell you.?)  26.5 hours at F2.8. 

Well, how often do we see the background sky turned into the main feature of an image like this? Not often, shall we say.

Beautiful, and as natural as can be. A knockout.

Olly.

• Like 1

well it's all been said but WOW all the same what  corker 

• Like 1

This is super .... love it, so much to enjoy. ??????

Having just found the joys of Aladin, can I check how you annotate your images? Is there an automatic way or do you have to do it all manually?

• Like 1

I used PixInsight to platesolve the image, plot the equatorial grid and mark IC 1454. As far as I know there isn’t an MBM catalogue that can be downloaded as a custom catalogue to render in PixInsight. The coördinates can be found online / in scientific papers, so in theory it should be possible to compile a list of MBMs (or any other object) in Excel and use that in PixInsight. For this image, I used Photoshop to designate MBM 163, 164, 165 and LBN 569. 

I have to further explore the possibilities of the desktop version of the Aladin Sky Atlas. I believe it has annotation functions. There are some YouTube videos out there explaining how to properly use the atlas. 

Edited by mftoet

22 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

26.5 hours at F2.8.

This has to be a fabulous image...

...I've never seen Olly so enthusiastic about F-numbers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mftoet said:

I used PixInsight to platesolve the image, plot the equatorial grid and mark IC 1454. As far as I know there isn’t an MBM catalogue that can be downloaded as a custom catalogue to render in PixInsight. The coördinates can be found online / in scientific papers, so in theory it should be possible to compile a list of MBMs (or any other object) in Excel and use that in PixInsight. For this image, I used Photoshop to designate MBM 163, 164, 165 and LBN 569. 

I have to further explore the possibilities of the desktop version of the Aladin Sky Atlas. I believe it has annotation functions. There are some YouTube videos out there explaining how to properly use the atlas. 

I found that PI was woeful in comparison to what the desktop version of Aladin could find...... that is exciting!! Sadly I can't find any way of annotating and have to do it all manually. I'm looking on Youtube now for annotating your own image.......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AKB said:

This has to be a fabulous image...

...I've never seen Olly so enthusiastic about F-numbers.

:D

I love F numbers when they arise from opening up the aperture! This image was taken at a focal length for which I would be using 106mm aperture, not 180. (Well, I'd be using two at 106 but even so...)

Olly

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow! Super deep image - very nicely done!

22 hours ago, swag72 said:

I found that PI was woeful in comparison to what the desktop version of Aladin could find...... that is exciting!! Sadly I can't find any way of annotating and have to do it all manually. I'm looking on Youtube now for annotating your own image.......

You need to download the catalogue from Vizier, edit in Excel to match the PI import file and then use custom catalogue in the annotate script. You might be also able to export from Aladin all items in view, though haven't done it that way round.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely amazing image. Well done. It's great to see the more obscure objects like this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coatesg said:

Wow! Super deep image - very nicely done!

You need to download the catalogue from Vizier, edit in Excel to match the PI import file and then use custom catalogue in the annotate script. You might be also able to export from Aladin all items in view, though haven't done it that way round.

Can you give a more step by step guide? None of that makes sense at the moment ??

4 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Can you give a more step by step guide? None of that makes sense at the moment ??

Sure - I will start a thread :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, coatesg said:

Sure - I will start a thread :)

Brilliant..... thanks so much ..... please remember I am a PI numpty ??