SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Faint Molecular Clouds in Cepheus: MBM 163 - 166 (Magnani, Blitz & Mundy), LBN 569

mftoet

Rarely imaged Molecular Clouds in Cepheus: MBM 163 - 166 (Magnani, Blitz & Mundy), LBN 569 (Lynds' Catalogue of Bright Nebulae) and probably others...

Centre of field: RA 22h12' DEC +81°10' 

Exposure time: 26 hours, 30 minutes (5 min. subs)
Optics: Takahashi Epsilon-180ED f/2.8
Camera: Nikon D810a (ISO 400)
Mount: Astro-Physics Mach1 GTO
SQM: 21.4 - 21.7 magnitude/arcsec²
Date: August 6, 8, 10, 11, 13 & 17, 2018

Data reduction / pre-processing with Astro Pixel Processor, post-processing in Photoshop CC.

https://www.mauricetoet.nl/DeepSky/i-5Z9v6J4/A

mbm165_318x300s_20180806-X4.jpg

https://www.mauricetoet.nl/DeepSky/i-GgxGf8N/A

mbm165_318x300s_20180806_mono-X4.jpg

Maurice, looks fantastic. Always great to see new objects like this (and so nicely executed). You have captured such intricate details in the nebulosity and those razorsharp diffraction spikes are icing on the cake!

Pieter

Thank you very much for your comments! Always much appreciated.

It's nice and fun to find and try out something new on the area of deep sky astrophotography. I 'discovered' this area simply by browsing / exploring the Aladin Sky Atlas. Last February I tried out a part of this area using the digitized POSS-II data (red and blue plates). Now I can show my result and that of the 48-inch f/2.5 Oschin Schmidt Telescope side-by-side.

mbm165_318x300s_20180806_POSS-II-X3.jpg

Using the Aladin Sky Atlas, I also made an annotated version. Not sure of the other nebulous structures are catalogued. Planetary Nebula IC 1454 also happens to be in the field of view.

mbm165_318x300s_20180806_annotated-X3.jp

Maurice was just down the road doing this one and he was clearly up to something! (He was unusually cagey, let me tell you.?)  26.5 hours at F2.8. 

Well, how often do we see the background sky turned into the main feature of an image like this? Not often, shall we say.

Beautiful, and as natural as can be. A knockout.

Olly.

I used PixInsight to platesolve the image, plot the equatorial grid and mark IC 1454. As far as I know there isn’t an MBM catalogue that can be downloaded as a custom catalogue to render in PixInsight. The coördinates can be found online / in scientific papers, so in theory it should be possible to compile a list of MBMs (or any other object) in Excel and use that in PixInsight. For this image, I used Photoshop to designate MBM 163, 164, 165 and LBN 569. 

I have to further explore the possibilities of the desktop version of the Aladin Sky Atlas. I believe it has annotation functions. There are some YouTube videos out there explaining how to properly use the atlas. 

14 minutes ago, mftoet said:

I used PixInsight to platesolve the image, plot the equatorial grid and mark IC 1454. As far as I know there isn’t an MBM catalogue that can be downloaded as a custom catalogue to render in PixInsight. The coördinates can be found online / in scientific papers, so in theory it should be possible to compile a list of MBMs (or any other object) in Excel and use that in PixInsight. For this image, I used Photoshop to designate MBM 163, 164, 165 and LBN 569. 

I have to further explore the possibilities of the desktop version of the Aladin Sky Atlas. I believe it has annotation functions. There are some YouTube videos out there explaining how to properly use the atlas. 

I found that PI was woeful in comparison to what the desktop version of Aladin could find...... that is exciting!! Sadly I can't find any way of annotating and have to do it all manually. I'm looking on Youtube now for annotating your own image.......

10 hours ago, AKB said:

This has to be a fabulous image...

...I've never seen Olly so enthusiastic about F-numbers.

:D

I love F numbers when they arise from opening up the aperture! This image was taken at a focal length for which I would be using 106mm aperture, not 180. (Well, I'd be using two at 106 but even so...)

Olly

Wow! Super deep image - very nicely done!

22 hours ago, swag72 said:

I found that PI was woeful in comparison to what the desktop version of Aladin could find...... that is exciting!! Sadly I can't find any way of annotating and have to do it all manually. I'm looking on Youtube now for annotating your own image.......

You need to download the catalogue from Vizier, edit in Excel to match the PI import file and then use custom catalogue in the annotate script. You might be also able to export from Aladin all items in view, though haven't done it that way round.

2 hours ago, coatesg said:

Wow! Super deep image - very nicely done!

You need to download the catalogue from Vizier, edit in Excel to match the PI import file and then use custom catalogue in the annotate script. You might be also able to export from Aladin all items in view, though haven't done it that way round.

Can you give a more step by step guide? None of that makes sense at the moment ??

Archived