Cutting aluminium plate

fireballxl5

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, +1 for chop/mitre saw. i regularly use mine with a fine blade for cutting aluminium bay poles, not quite 15mm thick but take it slow and it'll make a nice clean cut. if you want a radius cut neatly it might be worth chucking a few quid at a local engineering works for a quick after hours job. 

13 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You can buy a suitable chop saw with aluminium cutting blade for around £100.00.

Does nice neat square cuts.

Dave

Indeed so.  Only a couple of weeks ago I bought one from Machine Mart when they were having a "we pay the VAT" type sale.  Just been making space for it in the workshop this morning.

James

What are the special features of Aluminium cutting blades? I do know, from
personal (scary-ish) experience, "binding" is a real problem... hazardous! ?

There always seem to be solutions that are OK-ish, provided you limit the
speed of cut, thickness of aluminium, use lubricant (WD40?) etc. etc. But! ? 

4 minutes ago, Macavity said:

What are the special features of Aluminium cutting blades? I do know, from
personal (scary-ish) experience, "binding" is a real problem... hazardous! 

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/rage-3-s-blade-cuts-steel-aluminium-wood/

Don't forget to read the elf & safety leaflet :grin:

Dave

29 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

how big is it? what shape do you want to cut?

Thanks for the prompt suggestions guys?

The plate is 300*300mm square. I wanted to make it circular, 250mm diameter but after discussing with the boss of a  local fabrication place it only seems practical for me to cut the corners off. 

The biggest issue with cutting aluminium is heat. Aluminium has a low melting point, so just be careful and use coolant. The best coolant to use is paraffin, but WD40 will be OK. Please wear goggles and a mask when machining.

Steve

5 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

Thanks for the prompt suggestions guys?

The plate is 300*300mm square. I wanted to make it circular, 250mm diameter but after discussing with the boss of a  local fabrication place it only seems practical for me to cut the corners off. 

I'd look around, find someone who can chuck it on their CNC bed. 

This is the pier extension I want to modify. I want to make the top plate circular to avoid clashes with my new, side by side scope config.

The middle unpainted plate is not required so I just want to match the top plate of the extension to the base plate (top most black circular plate) of the mount.

20180824_135424.jpg

20 years ago I built a 34 foot boat in aluminium. The bottom of the keel was a teardrop shape about 4 ft long and 22mm thick. I used a bandsaw with a fine blade and it worked well.Being a thin blade your not removing as much material as a circular saw .  +1 for using good eye protection.

13 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

This is the pier extension I want to modify. I want to make the top plate circular to avoid clashes with my new, side by side scope config.

The middle unpainted plate is not required so I just want to match the top plate of the extension to the base plate (top most black circular plate) of the mount.

20180824_135424.jpg

If it's got a hole in the centre you could do a good job with a decent jigsaw and a trammel bar then finish with a file.

Dave

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

If it's got a hole in the centre you could do a good job with a decent jigsaw and a trammel bar then finish with a file.

Dav

No hole to start with.

Looks like a decent jigsaw is well north of £100, over £200 for a cordless including battery & charger. Is there a model that you'd recommend?

1 minute ago, fireballxl5 said:

No hole to start with.

Looks like a decent jigsaw is well north of £100, over £200 for a cordless including battery & charger. Is there a model that you'd recommend?

i wouldnt bother with a cordless one. if you're able to put a hole dead centre i'd use a router and take .5mm on each pass around. Trend make aluminium cutters

7 minutes ago, fireballxl5 said:

No hole to start with.

Any cheap mains powered  jigsaw should last long enough to do the job before it blows up if you keep a sharp blade in it :grin:

As mentioned you could use a router to get a better finish but needs to be one with a bit of guts so probably dearer than a jigsaw and cutter is dearer than jigsaw blades.

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Any cheap mains powered  jigsaw should last long enough to do the job before it blows up if you keep a sharp blade in it :grin:

As mentioned you could use a router to get a better finish but needs to be one with a bit of guts so probably dearer than a jigsaw and cutter is dearer than jigsaw blades.

Dave

cheap router would be fine , removing so little each pass its less strain than a jigsaw. cheapo from lidl would probably do

Cheaply? Use a jigsaw with a coarse metal cutting blade. A wooden template will help. Don't force or the blade will bend and you get an angled cut.

Router is OK, put it on a sacrificial sheet of wood and use a template. Go slowly. Use brushed on paraffin to stop the alloy building up on the blade and clogging it.

Any local engineering firm with a big milling machine (a 'Bridgeport') and a rotary table would do a decent job of it. As would a big lathe.

Archived