Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

AdeKing

Sunspots visible in WL at last.

After seeing this post by @niallk 

I dusted off and put the WL setup out for a quick look, but was not really expecting to see much.

Imagine my surprise when I saw several nice sunspots with penumbra detail around at least one.

Have to go out now but hoping weather will hold for a better look later.

Ade

• Like 7

You can thank me for the solar action Ade, it's because I've had to dismantle the solar setup to fell a couple of trees :grin:

Glad there's something to see in WL  for a change.

Dave

• Like 1

Yep, I watched them this morning with the large 300mm dob and a full-aperture filter. But no matter what the magnification was (between 167x and 62x) turbulence was always too strong, no doubt because the clouds that dotted the sky are always surrounded by agitated air.

So I switched to the 80mm semi-apo, went to 160x immediately and found a more acceptable view. I start with high power and reduce it till the view is both stable and detailed, but this time I couldn't, clouds got closer and closer to each other, with fewer and fewer gaps, and finally a complete cover.

I had planned an in-between view with the 127mm cat but that will be for another day. I'm not too disappointed because the spots are on both sides of the equator, and rather mottled, seems to indicate normal sunspot activity is resuming.

Edited by Ben the Ignorant
  • Like 2

Must be quite small I’m guessing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Pics here.

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Similar in size or maybe slightly smaller than the ones that were around at the end of June I’d guess.

I had been watching this area off and on this afternoon. The Ha detail was very impressive so I retuned the etalon to white light mode. Surprised to see such a nice pair of groupings, one horseshoe shaped and the other some nice penumbral detail. Also detected a couple of possible Ellermann "bombs".   😀

• Like 2

I saw those groups yesterday with my 70mm Ranger and the Lunt Wedge. Nice to see some white light features :smiley:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davey-T said:

You can thank me for the solar action Ade, it's because I've had to dismantle the solar setup to fell a couple of trees :grin:

Glad there's something to see in WL  for a change.

Dave

Isn’t that just Murphy’s law, the minute your Solar setup is out of action something interesting comes along.

Ade

According to SpaceWeather.com, these spots have reverse polarity. Could we possibly, finally be pulling out of solar minimum? Woohoo! I hope so!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/08/2018 at 14:57, Kn4fty said:

Could we possibly, finally be pulling out of solar minimum? Woohoo! I hope so!

I hope so too.

On 27/08/2018 at 14:57, Kn4fty said:

Could we possibly, finally be pulling out of solar minimum? Woohoo! I hope so!

Me too, I got into solar observing at completely the wrong time in the cycle but on a positive note and in the words of D:Ream "Things Can Only Get Better."

For any of you who don't get the reference (D:Ream - Things Can Only Get Better).

Apologies, this was on the radio when I drove home :embarassed:.

Ade

• Like 1

On 28/08/2018 at 19:49, AdeKing said:

Me too, I got into solar observing at completely the wrong time in the cycle but on a positive note and in the words of D:Ream "Things Can Only Get Better."

For any of you who don't get the reference (D:Ream - Things Can Only Get Better).

Apologies, this was on the radio when I drove home :embarassed:.

Ade

Maybe the right time, i am really struggling to motivate my self during the minimum i have experienced. That said there is a ISS transit early on Saturday from my location, so i will be up waiting for Sunrise. Transit occurs at 2 degrees altitude.

At least the quite times allow for some practice without missing too much.

hello,very new to solar imaging and just been out today to try and get to grips with my Lunt ls60 bf1200 PT,got it in focus as regards seeing a red ball but try as I might I couldnt get any surface detail using the PT,I realise it is going to take time but I thought I would have seen some detail.

I see in an earlier post from the Astronomy Centre at Todmorden that he/she re-tuned the etalon to get white light,how is that done please?

1 hour ago, shamba504424 said:

I see in an earlier post from the Astronomy Centre at Todmorden that he/she re-tuned the etalon to get white light,how is that done please?

I'm not sure of the answer to that question, I was interested to know the answer to that question too.

However, I'm pretty sure that @Peter Drew uses a custom built solar telescope so the answer might be in the specific scope that he has.

Hopefully he will see this and let us know.

Ade

All PST's etalons can be "tuned" to give the appearance of a white light image by twisting the tuning ring. The view of course is red rather than the usual "white". I have a feeling that many PST owners don't experiment enough with tuning, as the bandwidth varies from the red wing into the blue wing whilst tuning, the appearance of the image changes quite significantly. Make sure you try it!    😃

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I have a feeling that many PST owners don't experiment enough with tuning, as the bandwidth varies from the red wing into the blue wing whilst tuning, the appearance of the image changes quite significantly. Make sure you try it!    😃

I've got a borrowed PST and have to confess that I've never tried this I've only tuned back and forth around the point where surface details or proms look best. Next time I get the PST out I'll experiment a bit more.

Thanks for the tip @Peter Drew.

Ade