SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Studying later in life

I was into my 30's before I started my degree, having worked for 15 years, I decided to do a years pre study for adults getting back into education, my course was basically core A level studies in Maths, Physics and Chemistry, done full time for 9 months, I came out with two distinctions and a pass, but more importantly it give me the learning and study skills and confidence in my ability. I then took a 4 year BSc (Hons) in Applied Statistics and Computing and came out with a 2.1.

I felt that the discipline of learning basically 3 A levels in one year, stood me in good standing, so never felt I was playing catch up with anyone on the course. And the study skills proved as invaluable as the knowledge.

Don't know if that type of access for adults is around now, it was back 25 years ago. It was the best decision I made to delay my degree for one year, it made the next 4 years so much easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to do the GCSE astronomy Course 40 years after leaving school when we did 'O' Levels in those days.

It was a bit of a shock to the system to suddenly have to do coursework and revision, but because it was a subject I was passionate about I thoroughly enjoyed it and did well and got an A at the end of the course.  Not bad for some-one a year off retirement age. 

So if you are passionate about the subject and have the time to do the additional study then I see no problems.

Carole 

I was in my 30s when I enrolled with OU for a Natural Sciences degree. I came from zero educationally. A few CSE's from 1981. So had to start with a foundation course which I really enjoyed and got great scores in. Unfortunately I dropped it in the first year due to a forced career change rather than the one I was planning for.

I've made some bad career choices but that one stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Now it's cost that would stop me trying again.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to you all for the replies and sorry I've been away for a little while.

It's the costing that it putting me off at the minute as well as the having the time to dedicate to it. We have a little one due anytime now so have been devoting al my time (and spare cash) to getting ready for her arrival.

I think for the time being I am just going to try and source the text books and materials to read through (well if the little lady will allow me the time) until I can confidently say I can set aside the time to really focus on it.

Archived