Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Cosmic Geoff

Mars & Saturn, 21 Aug, 8" & 5" scopes

For once I set up my two catadroptic imaging scopes together to see how they compared, and how well the smaller one cut through the crud.

C8 SCT on SE mount, ASI 120MC, ADC, processed in Registax6, 3000 frame video.

Celestron 127mm Mak on Nexstar SLT mount, wood tripod, ASI120MC , ADC, processed in Registax6, 3000 frame video.

The 127mm images are slightly smaller, placed second.   The bigger scope seems to do better.  I thought that Saturn did not change much and was just a seeing test target, but the shadow of the planet on the rings is now distinctly asymmetrical.   The dark smudges in the C8 Mars images correlate well with real features.  Mars altitude about 11 deg. The dust storm seems to be over.

The seeing was better than it's been for a while. 

MarsC-25-22_42_03.jpg

MarsC30-4ep22_40_50.jpg

MarsK25-23_24_41.jpg

MarsM25-23_23_25.jpg

SaturnC30-4ep22_35_28.jpg

MarsC30-4ep22_32_03.jpg

SaturnM22_13_50.jpg

SaturnM22_14_50.jpg

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 10

Good comparison but yeah, the 8SE wins.... although that's what you'd expect from a bigger scope.

Really good comparison, both scopes do a great job for their size, but yeah the C8 certainly fulfils the goals of apparent size, brightness, and resolution. 

I did something similar when I upgraded my 6SE to an 8SE and was really impressed with how much better the images were.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By stevebb
      Celestron C8 XLT + extras and SkyWatcher Star Travel 80 (ST80)
      I have a Celestron C8 with XLT Starbrite coatings. Will include the full length base plate, both visual and imaging backs, scope rings, front 8" end cap and the finder scope with it. No box I'm afraid. Optics are good and clean, focal length is huge - 2300mm from memory. This lot would cost close to £1300 new and one with less spec went for £750 on fleabay recently. Might be interested in a part exchange or will let it go for £450 collection only.
      Also, I have a SkyWatcher Star Traveler 80 - good optics, used as a guide scope - just the scope itself (does not include the barlow in the photo) looking at around £50 for it.
      I have decided to save up for another Equinox or even an Esprit.
      Please excuse some of the colours - I used my astro modded 6D which was in the observatory so the "nice" purple is actually black !!
      Both these are collection only.

• By hazza001
      Hello everyone, 
      I'd say it's been about 6 years since I last posted on this forum, oops 😁. 
      Anyway Ive been looking for a new scope something with abit more punch than the skywatcher 130m I have been using and came across this beaut on eBay, I won the auction and picked it up yesterday. The guy was selling it on behalf of an elderly gentleman man who couldn't use it anymore, (it's been sitting in an unheated garage for many years 😩) he had no idea on the make or model other than its a c8, I did a bit of research and found its a c8 super polaris. 
      The mount has both RA and Dec axis motors but I have no way to power them, the action of the mount is buttery smooth. However I plan to mount this on my HEQ5 anyway... 
      The scope its self seems to be in good condition some minor scratches on the tube but nothing too alarming, no finderscope or dust cover but I plan on adding my own finder anyway. The focus is super smoothe and can't see much if any image shift in use (not tested on a star yet due to preverbial clouds) 
      My main concern is as its been in an unheated garage for some considerable time and there seems to be some minor mildew on the primary which I plan on cleaning... when I feel brave enough.. 
      I don't think the secondary screws are original, should be Phillips head? Tested on a small light down the garden and it seems to be well collimated, but does have a small amount of mildew on it
      I don't recognise the mounting bar, I would like to swap it to a vixen style bar so I can mount it on my HEQ5 maybe this?
      Anyway that's where I am with it sorry its been so long since I last posted, I hope to be a tad more active on here. 
      Harry 

• By Piero
      I'm currently on my annual leave in Italy and the sky has been clear all day with no air turbulence.
      The telescope is out - of course - and I managed a session before dinner.
      I thought about sharing some photos taken with my phone and a couple of sketches.

• By MarsG76
      Saturn imaged on 17 August 2019 using a C8 SCT, Skyris 618C at f33.
    • By MarsG76
      Hello All,
      Sharing with you my best images of Jupiter and Saturn for this year.
      I haven't had the luck of a High Pressure system with no wind speed yet, but on the 17th it was as close as I had for planetary this Jupiter/Saturn season.
      Not my best images of the gas giants ever but ok IMO.
      I'm happy to see that the GRS seems to be repairing itself, last time I imaged Jupiter, the border around the GRS looked like it was breaking up so perhaps it'll be around long enough for my kids to see in the eyepiece.
      Captured at f33. Images consist of  the best 15% frames from 13x60sec @ 60fps for Jupiter and 13x120s @ 30fps for Saturn, derotated in WinJupos.
      Clear Skies,
      MG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.