T'was ever thus...

ollypenrice

It seems that astronomy has always had its frustrations. I just read this excerpt from Allan Chapman's excellent book The Victorian Amateur Astronomer:

'The making of object glasses is a dreadful and tedious labour.' So trying was it that, 'Men have been known to go and throw their heads under waggon wheels, and have them smashed, from being reguarly worn out with working an object glass, and not being able to get the convex right.'

Although we can now buy inexpensive object glasses we have the new terror of the Windows Update ready to send us out in search of passing waggon wheels. Good job these have gone scarce!

Olly

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Although we can now buy inexpensive object glasses we have the new terror of the Windows Update ready to send us out in search of passing waggon wheels. Good job these have gone scarce!

'Tis true, Olly, Windows 10 automatic updates often have me searching for a wagon wheel - even though we are out in the sticks here, there are usually only one two wagons passing by each day and you have to duck to miss the horses hooves .......

To err is human....to mess (paraphrase) it up completely requires a computer....

I had the same experience last night..Bill Gates' evil updater brought the AP session to a grinding halt. ...Gave up and enjoyed a visual session with my John Owen handmade triplet refractor on an a push-to mount. The OG has a tiny scratch on surface six....I can see him spotting this and saying "sod it. I'm not doing all that again..." to himself...

I've often wondered how many hours  and re-works it took to make that OG..I know I'd never have the patience.

RL

I am guessing you nabbed that book off the review reading list, that was my first choice as I always enjoy his lectures.  Sounds like I might just have to purchase a copy instead! ?

We really do take for granted sometimes just how lucky we are with the ready availability of good quality kit for not much money.  That change seems to have come about in not very long a space of time.  Even in the mid 90s, an entry level scope would cost several hundred pounds.  Today for the same money (disregarding inflation) you get so  much more.  Any usually better quality as well.

Thankfully we don't see too many wagons in Chelsea anymore!

31 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

I am guessing you nabbed that book off the review reading list, that was my first choice as I always enjoy his lectures.  Sounds like I might just have to purchase a copy instead! ?

We really do take for granted sometimes just how lucky we are with the ready availability of good quality kit for not much money.  That change seems to have come about in not very long a space of time.  Even in the mid 90s, an entry level scope would cost several hundred pounds.  Today for the same money (disregarding inflation) you get so  much more.  Any usually better quality as well.

Thankfully we don't see too many wagons in Chelsea anymore!

Sorry!!! You're right, I did. I move like lightning for an old'un...

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

'The making of object glasses is a dreadful and tedious labour.' So trying was it that, 'Men have been known to go and throw their heads under waggon wheels, and have them smashed, from being reguarly worn out with working an object glass, and not being able to get the convex right.'

The right reaction was to experiment with other techniques and/or other materials. How could they not see something in their method wasn't right? Doing systematic research is also tedious labor but it always goes forward, and after you've done it you have your solution and you can go back to figuring lenses without despair and randomness. I have great respect for researchers and creative people, they made all of humanity's tasks easier.

34 minutes ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

The right reaction was to experiment with other techniques and/or other materials. How could they not see something in their method wasn't right? Doing systematic research is also tedious labor but it always goes forward, and after you've done it you have your solution and you can go back to figuring lenses without despair and randomness. I have great respect for researchers and creative people, they made all of humanity's tasks easier.

I think we can be fairly sure that they knew something in their method wasn't right. The 'waggon wheel' moment comes when, after much effort, you still don't know what it is...

Olly

Come on people! You know what we are like. As technology makes things easier we push it to the edge to do more things. We are never satisfied and always looking to do more. We live at that boundary where the benefits we see are just more than the frustration we feel.

Personally, I would rather deal with frustrating computers than hypersensitised film and manual guiding through an eyepiece.?

14 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

It seems that astronomy has always had its frustrations. I just read this excerpt from Allan Chapman's excellent book The Victorian Amateur Astronomer:

Olly

The modern version of throwing your head under a wagon wheel is "Throw yourself under a bus".

You may have to wait a while, but then 3 of them come at the same time.

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

The modern version of throwing your head under a wagon wheel is "Throw yourself under a bus".

That's because, as everyone knows, wagon wheels have got so much smaller.

James

21 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The making of object glasses is a dreadful and tedious labour.' So trying was it that, 'Men have been known to go and throw their heads under waggon wheels, and have them smashed, from being reguarly worn out with working an object glass, and not being able to get the convex right.'

Does it say anything about mirror makers?

(? implied)

I kno knothing about Windows 10, but if you have the Pro version, can you not just elect to turn automatic updates off?  Or has Mr. Gates decided that he knows best now?

All of the other flavours of Windows laptops and PCs I have, have automatic updates turned off.

2 hours ago, Hallingskies said:

I kno knothing about Windows 10, but if you have the Pro version, can you not just elect to turn automatic updates off?  Or has Mr. Gates decided that he knows best now?

All of the other flavours of Windows laptops and PCs I have, have automatic updates turned off.

Ditto ? 

Archived