Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from East Anglia

FenSkies

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Welcome from land down under

Have a great uncle, who was evacuated from Battle of the Somme, 4th August, 1916, and died of injuries, and buried at Cambridge.

Far from his native homeland

That's a sad story, and one that so many families from the far reaches of the Commonwealth must share. At Portsmouth, I visited the last surviving gunboat from the Gallipoli campaign, that took a terrible toll on the ANZAC forces. A sobering place to visit.

On a brighter note, I remember a day, about twenty years ago, when I used to help keep the churchyard tidy. A holidaying Australian couple came along, hoping to find the site of a relative's grave. Not a war casualty in this case, but a great-grandparent of one of them. The vicar was away, and the map showing the grave plots was locked away in his study, so the couple spent a while looking around the three-acre churchyard, without success. Turning to leave, thinking it a wasted journey, one of the couple glanced aside and recognised a name on a weathered gravestone. By chance both great-grandparents and a  great-aunt were buried within a few yards of the gate, and were right behind them as they entered churchyard. It was a poignant moment and made my day as well as theirs.

Thanks to all for the messages of welcome.

Clear skies.

John

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2018 at 01:28, cletrac1922 said:

If you ever make it down under

Very welcome to come along to one of our club nights

Club is conducting public viewing night on foreshore, adjacent to SeaWorld on Saturday 15th this month

Link to club website

http://sas.org.au/ 

John

Well, maybe in my dreams ?

I must say I envy the Saturn in the Park event and wish you all clear skies for that.

Saturn is just too close to the horizon for me this year but I did get a glimpse last year through the 90mm frac. A tiny but reasonably clear view. Cassini division and subtle banding on the disk visible from time to time as the air steadied. Going to be a few years before I get another chance from my front yard.

Archived