Narrowband

Hi from East Anglia

FenSkies

Hi. I'm newly signed up but have been lurking for about 18 months.

The username is wishful thinking, as I'm actually on the southern fringe of Cambridge.

Despite the city glow to the West, a large Tesco to the East, and local streetlights north and south, on a clear transparent night I can find M1, M81, M82, NGC4485/4490 and many other faint fuzzies.

On a poor night I can see M31 with my 8" DOB but struggle to find it with my 90mm Refractor.

I am a stargazer more than an astronomer and get a real kick out finding faint objects by star-hopping.

I started watching the Sky at Night when I was about eight, and some of it still goes over my head, but I always watch.

What first hooked me was probably my father taking me out into the dark countryside to see the Milky Way, and always pointing out constellations and the brighter planets. He died when I was thirteen, but bequeathed me a lifelong love of the world and universe around me.

Clear skies.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fenskies and welcome,im new here and new to star gazing,thats how i describe myself to lol. Ive spent many hours just gazing up with my eyes.The night sky is just fascinating im in the process of hopefully getting my 1st scope soon depending on the gods of ebay at thr moment.

Yes definately alot of it goes above my head just like the stars.

I have found every one on here absolutely wonderful and helpful.

Ive got london 26 miles to the south of me and stansted airport a few miles away to buy im pretty certain there is some dark skies hopefully not to far away.

Anyway welcome aboard and best wishes from me.

Thank you all for the welcome messages ?

I'm hoping to post some observation reports when weather and opportunity allow me outside.

It really seems to have been an abysmal year for cloud and LP creeping high into the sky, except when I wake at 2.30am and see sparkling stars through the bedroom window, knowing I can't get the scope out because I have to be up for work at 6.00am. It's amazing how stargazing has made me appreciate frosty winter evenings ?

17 minutes ago, FenSkies said:

It's amazing how stargazing has made me appreciate frosty winter evenings ?

You are not alone- I've always loved summer, but star gazing has given me a reason to look forward to the dark nights...

Welcome to the lounge.

22 hours ago, Whistlin Bob said:

You are not alone- I've always loved summer, but star gazing has given me a reason to look forward to the dark nights...

Welcome to the lounge.

Thanks Bob.

Summer for looking at planets, on warm balmy nights (except Saturn and Jupiter barely get above the local house roofs this year, Venus disappearing before dark and Mars in the wobbly lower altitudes), winter for getting outside straight after dinner for a long evening's enjoyment ?

21 hours ago, FZ1 said:

Welcome from a Fen dweller!

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks Jon,

The Fens may not have spectacular scenery, but they have big skies. And I have to say I like our flat, watery landscape.

I lived in Burwell, on the edge of the Fens for a few years when I was a kid and will never forget going out beyond the streetlights and seeing the Milky Way as a striking light band across the heavens. This was in the 1960s when streetlights were still switched off not long after midnight. Can't see that happening again ☹️

Welcome to this friendly forum from a German stargazer (visual only).

According to this, some rather dark areas are located not so far away to the SE and SW:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=11&lat=6835194&lon=9506&layers=B0FFTFFFFFT

Well worth a travel with your  8", or, more lightweight, the 90 mm frac.

Stephan

• 2 weeks later...

Stephan, Pete, thank you both for the welcome.

Sorry for not acknowledging sooner. I have just returned from a few days house-sitting for my daughter.

Stephan, thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don't drive, but I am considering maybe converting a golf trolley to move the 90mm frac around locally. Even by walking a mile I can get to an area completely free of streetlights with a clear southern horizon.

I'm also considering buying a short 80mm or 90mm which would be lighter to carry to a darker site for DSO hunting.

23 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Welcome to SGL from another Fen dweller (about 8 miles north west of Cambridge).

nice skies when they’re clear!!

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Nothing like Fen sky on a clear transparent night.

23 hours ago, fiestazetecmk2 said:

Hi fellow fendweller .I'm another 8"dobsonion user.from north cambridgeshire. On the dark side.

Welcome

Hi and thanks.

I got the 8" dob after using the 90mm frac on an EQ mount for a few months and haven't regretted it. Set-up time is zero, familiar faint fuzzies are little less faint, and fainter fuzzies are now a definite something instead a vague might-be. The frac is still great for the moon and doubles though.

Archived