SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Something For Those Cloudy Nights

laser_jock99

I discovered by accident that my observatory site is not only 'dark sky' but also 'radio quiet'- owing to it's remote location (no mobile signal here....haha!). Combined with the high elavation (1500 feet) it makes a good location for receiving faint SW radio signals from around the globe.

With this in mind I started looking for a budget SW reciever to test the theory and found not one but two in the local 'junk shop' in Machynlleth.

The larger receiver is a 1980 Realistic (Tandy) DX-302 in very good condition.

42394495330_b491fdce2f_b.jpg

And a smaller Philips 1971 portable in almost mint condition.

43484310134_a1017058d7_b.jpg

The number of different stations I can recieve up here is amazing- way better than in the Midlands mainly due, I think, to the lack of local radio noise/intereference. And this is without a decent antenna- just a piece of wire dangling out the obsy.

I hope to set up a half decent long wire antenna and get even better reception. The observatory is in danger of becoming a radio shack!

20 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

The larger receiver is a 1980 Realistic (Tandy) DX-302 in very good condition.

20 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

The observatory is in danger of becoming a radio shack!

Quite appropriate really since Tandy were  "Radio Shack" in the USA

.image.png.4c7384d523327390c37e84d5702c6029.png

RadioShack has actually survived and has come back from the dead. They are mainly online now but still have some stores. They just signed a deal with HobbyTown in the US to open “express” stores within HobbyTown branches selling RadioShack stock.

Much smaller scale operation now than they used to be but actually growing again.

The Tandy name was sold to an Australian company who operate a chain of electrical goods shops under the Tandy.com.au name.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:49, laser_jock99 said:

Fond memories of the old Tandy shops- local one closed in 1999 I think? Now Maplins has gone too......

Yes, we had a Radio Shack store near to me in Bedford back in the '80's. They stocked stuff you just couldn't get anywhere else at the time as I recall.

6 minutes ago, iammart said:

Wow- expensive stuff. The £539 stereo on the front page would set you back £2,500 in todays money. I bet it probably wasn't even that good- Realistic are not really a respected/collectable audiophile brand.

Good link though!

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new radio in the collection a TECSUN PL-380. If anything I like this better than the big Tandy base station- it's nearly as good and also handheld (can use this in bed!)

Tried it out connected to the obsy long wire antenna (25m) and logged a staggering 60+ separate FM broadcast signals (although many were duplicate stations e.g. Classic FM three times) including a French station from Wales! Not too shabby on shortwave and medium wave either.

43198882460_f594caff93_b.jpg

Archived