Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants.thumb.jpg.0a6deb4bf0886533629e2bdc08293bc9.jpg

Owmuchonomy

Apollo 13; Haynes Workshop Manual

Whilst browsing in Ripon library I came across the Haynes Workshop Manual for Apollo 13, 1970.  I own two other 'serious' Haynes Manuals (Saturn V and Soyuz) and have read some others not so serious; (The Death Star).  They vary in quality, detail and 'readability' but this latest find is a step above most.  The author's credentials are second to none.  I'm sure some of you are familiar with David Baker already (e.g., editor of Spaceflight) but until now I am sorry to say I wasn't.  If you can find a copy then it is a must read for its incredible level of detail, factual and scientific approach and superb supporting information whether it be photos or supporting documents.  David was there and participated in the mission support rooms and followed up as part of the mission failure analysis.  No sensationalism here just pure factual reasoning and reporting.  A great read.

IMG_1712.jpg.a70af314dcc024d794bb7ba7126e3aef.jpg

• Like 9

My lovely lady bought me the Voyager manual as a gift. I've not finished reading it yet, but I really enjoy the mix of text information, along with interesting diagrams and pictures.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Apollo 13 and Saturn V ones....*adds to Amazon wish list* 

• Like 2

I must keep an eye out for a copy, I have the Saturn V one, which is very good, have Soyuz as the next one on my list.

Is that a Saturn V model lurking at the back of your image Chris?

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I must keep an eye out for a copy, I have the Saturn V one, which is very good, have Soyuz as the next one on my list.

Is that a Saturn V model lurking at the back of your image Chris?

Yes it is. The Soyuz manual is quite a difficult read to my mind. There is little engineering and practical information but a wealth of political discussion. If that’s your thing then it should be enjoyable but I had to work hard to find the interesting bits in there.

Chris, thanks. Best take a look at the Soyuz one before buying then.

Any chance of a full image of the rocket model and some information?  It looks stunning from the little bit shown.

Chris, that is amazing, I had no idea Lego made such a thing.

Dear Santa, I have been a good boy (mostly) all year and I would like..... 

59 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Chris, that is amazing, I had no idea Lego made such a thing.

Dear Santa, I have been a good boy (mostly) all year and I would like..... 

Did you spot that the kit comprises of 1969 pieces? Very clever.

• Like 1

I wonder how many bits got added to make the number work?

I have never really considered these books am thinking that I should give one a go. Might take a while to catch up on the back log on my book shelf though!

It's not a proper Haynes manual unless it says somewhere that "assembly is the reverse of disassembly" :)

James

• Haha 1

The Saturn V Haynes manual is a brilliant read, I didn’t know about the Apollo 13 edition, will be looking out for that, thanks.

18 hours ago, JamesF said:

It's not a proper Haynes manual unless it says somewhere that "assembly is the reverse of disassembly" :)

James

Now that would have been some story.

I will need to grab a copy of this. Looks pretty good and Haynes always produces good manuals.

• Thanks 1

Because of the heads-up by @Owmuchonomy (thanks!) in starting this thread, I received my copy about six weeks ago. Fascinating! I was nine for Apollo 13, and I remember my mother telling me that there was a problem in space.

• Thanks 1