Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Apollo 13; Haynes Workshop Manual

Owmuchonomy

Whilst browsing in Ripon library I came across the Haynes Workshop Manual for Apollo 13, 1970.  I own two other 'serious' Haynes Manuals (Saturn V and Soyuz) and have read some others not so serious; (The Death Star).  They vary in quality, detail and 'readability' but this latest find is a step above most.  The author's credentials are second to none.  I'm sure some of you are familiar with David Baker already (e.g., editor of Spaceflight) but until now I am sorry to say I wasn't.  If you can find a copy then it is a must read for its incredible level of detail, factual and scientific approach and superb supporting information whether it be photos or supporting documents.  David was there and participated in the mission support rooms and followed up as part of the mission failure analysis.  No sensationalism here just pure factual reasoning and reporting.  A great read.

IMG_1712.jpg.a70af314dcc024d794bb7ba7126e3aef.jpg

My lovely lady bought me the Voyager manual as a gift. I've not finished reading it yet, but I really enjoy the mix of text information, along with interesting diagrams and pictures.

I'll be keeping an eye out for Apollo 13 and Saturn V ones....*adds to Amazon wish list* 

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I must keep an eye out for a copy, I have the Saturn V one, which is very good, have Soyuz as the next one on my list.

Is that a Saturn V model lurking at the back of your image Chris?

Yes it is. The Soyuz manual is quite a difficult read to my mind. There is little engineering and practical information but a wealth of political discussion. If that’s your thing then it should be enjoyable but I had to work hard to find the interesting bits in there.

59 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Chris, that is amazing, I had no idea Lego made such a thing.

Dear Santa, I have been a good boy (mostly) all year and I would like..... 

Did you spot that the kit comprises of 1969 pieces? Very clever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived