SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Earth is faster than the speed of light?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22/08/2018 at 18:41, George Jones said:

Special relativity prohibits speeds greater than the speed of light

Actually it doesn't.  It prohibits objects travelling AT the speed of light due to exponential energy requirements but those requirements are reversed if something is travelling at GREATER than the speed of light, in which case it becomes impossible to slow down to the speed of light.

30 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Your writeup is very informing, and certainly clears a lot up regarding the term "Big Bang" and how it is interpreted, very nice writeup, thanks.

I hope I got it right, I wouldn't be surprised if I have my own misinterpretations :)  Hopefully anybody who can speak with authority will correct anything that needs correcting. It is an amazing story though don't you think - utterly fascinating and complex as it should be too. If you ever get an opportunity to visit CERN in Geneva I would thoroughly recommend it - the history of the universe exhibition is wonderful :) 

Jim 

29 minutes ago, saac said:

If you ever get an opportunity to visit CERN in Geneva I would thoroughly recommend it - the history of the universe exhibition is wonderful :)

I think i would pee myself at CERN, i would volunteer to be atomized and collided, just for the sake of science lol.

9 hours ago, Sland said:

Actually it doesn't.  It prohibits objects travelling AT the speed of light due to exponential energy requirements but those requirements are reversed if something is travelling at GREATER than the speed of light, in which case it becomes impossible to slow down to the speed of light.

I have a hypothesis that something moving faster than the speed of light is indistinguishable from something moving slower than light in the opposite direction.

13 hours ago, Pig said:

LoL ..... I guess if you all only earn 19 -21K a year I will have to ?

Qualified or Unqualified, rich or poor, I see us all as "Scientists"! A lot of *erudite* 
discussion here leave me much in awe. And often, frankly, quite totally baffled! ?

When looking for a postgrad opportunity, I was persuaded to have an *informal* 
interview with the Uni's THEORY Professor... His previously "forbidding" character
softened considerably... His secretary made me coffee, he treated me with great
respect and kindness. He encouraged me to apply...  But he also (equally kindly!)
pointed out that "Theorists" needed a VERY GOOD (sic!) 1st class hons degree. ?

I couldn't imagine a BAD First Class honours degree? lol (Bit like Spike Milligan's 
"fate worse than death" joke!). But I got the message (lol). I settled for "ordinary"
Particle Physics. The greater mix of jobs, more my thing? Despite "merry banter",
Theoretical Physicists (these days Brian Cox too) have my respect. "Solidarity"! ?

As an inspiration: https://twitter.com/CERN_JOBS/status/1035437032678608897

• 3 months later...
On 05/09/2018 at 08:22, Stub Mandrel said:

I have a hypothesis that something moving faster than the speed of light is indistinguishable from something moving slower than light in the opposite direction.

????? No!

On 05/09/2018 at 00:05, saac said:

I hope I got it right, I wouldn't be surprised if I have my own misinterpretations :)  Hopefully anybody who can speak with authority will correct anything that needs correcting. It is an amazing story though don't you think - utterly fascinating and complex as it should be too. If you ever get an opportunity to visit CERN in Geneva I would thoroughly recommend it - the history of the universe exhibition is wonderful :) 

Jim 

The only observation I would make is that the current view is that the uiverse has and always has been spatially infinite. It is spacetime that had the singularity.

Regards Andrew 

PS Must has missed this thread  some how.

Archived