SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-Watcher Stargate 450P Synscan

FLO

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Spikey said:

Might be worth taking various brands of EP so comparisons can be made based on budgets ?

This is FLO's first large Dob (a member of the Dob' Mob!) so we want to push the boat out, and that requires Tele-Vue ?

But I think you are right. We should also have a set of more affordable eyepieces to hand. Perhaps some BST Starguiders, Celestron XCel-LX or Baader Morpheus. And of course if someone wants to compare their eyepieces with ours then they'll be welcome. 

Can't wait to have a look through this at SGL star party.  Thanks for giving the community the opportunity to experience this monster.

I think you've got the eyepiece choice covered in the previous two posts. +1 for the range of price options and not just the top end choices 

6 hours ago, Grant said:

You get extra points if you suggest a 21mm Ethos as one of these is definitely winking at me!

I can heartily recommend a 21mm Ethos as being the ideal eyepiece to pair with a large Dob :grin: 

Go on Grant, you know you're worth it ? 

16 minutes ago, estwing said:

Only need the 21 and 8mm ethos in a 18" for the wow factor....even better if the skies clear!.. Surely people could pop their own ex's in?

Agreed, your EP set has to include an 8mm Ethos to show the extra magnification capabilities of a large mirror :)

So:

Nagler 31mm

Ethos 21mm

Nagler 16mm

Nagler 11mm

Ethos 8mm

Nagler 7mm

plus Paracorr?

That’s a couple more than I had originally planned but gives a wide spread but it is more than is necessary?

On first sight the 11mm Nagler seems redundant, the 8mm Ethos usurps it!

The list will let people compare/contrast 100 degree with 82 degree? Perhaps you need a 72 degree Delos in your kit instead of a similar Nagler?

- replace the 16 nagler with a 17.3 delos?

- replace the 11 nagler with a 12 delos?

5 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

On first sight the 11mm Nagler seems redundant, the 8mm Ethos usurps it!

The list will let people compare/contrast 100 degree with 82 degree? Perhaps you need a 72 degree Delos in your kit instead of a similar Nagler?

- replace the 16 nagler with a 17.3 delos?

- replace the 11 nagler with a 12 delos?

In terms of FOV, they do look close but the magnifications are quite different, that setup would give me (ignoring the effects the paracorr will make to focal length):

Nagler 31mm - 61x / 7.5mm exit pupil

Ethos 21mm - 90x / 5mm exit pupil

Nagler 16mm - 119x / 3.9mm exit pupil

Nagler 11mm - 173x / 2.7mm exit pupil

Ethos 8mm - 238x / 1.9mm exit pupil

Nagler 7mm - 271x / 1.7mm exit pupil

It might be as you say, that in practice / use the Ethos becomes the favoured option and the Nagler 11mm becomes superfluous. It might also be that the 7mm isn't needed and I will use my Hyperion zoom / barlow for higher magnification use, at least to begin with.

I also wander how much I would use the Nagler 31mm in practice? There are a few targets I would like to try it on, and it's probably useful as a finder eyepiece but beyond that, how much use would it get?

24 minutes ago, Grant said:

I also wander how much I would use the Nagler 31mm in practice? There are a few targets I would like to try it on, and it's probably useful as a finder eyepiece but beyond that, how much use would it get?

Yep, I sold my Nagler 31mm when I got the 21mm Ethos. There are a couple of targets such as the Veil where the extra sky would be nice but the darker background of the 21mm is really nice and really shows its worth on Leo & Virgo galaxy groups in the winter months.  No way I could keep them both in my case - just too much money not being used :(

1 hour ago, alanjgreen said:

Yep, I sold my Nagler 31mm when I got the 21mm Ethos. There are a couple of targets such as the Veil where the extra sky would be nice but the darker background of the 21mm is really nice and really shows its worth on Leo & Virgo galaxy groups in the winter months.  No way I could keep them both in my case - just too much money not being used :(

Do you use anything with less magnification than the 21mm Ethos?

2 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Always wanted the 31 until I looked through swampthings...21 kills it...and please don't start the " I like to fit the whole thing in stuff"....get imersed!

Archived