Meade 5" scope

After buying this scope second hand I wont say where from but found the focuser was rubbish, I had a lot of trouble with stars jumping around the FOV when trying to focus.

With help from Nick (cotterless45) supplying me with a SW focuser and Mark from Moonraker Telescopes making the adapter who both I cannot thank enough I have it up and running I just need a clear night to check I have enough focus travel on checking with original I dont expect there to be any problems.

20180822_110810.jpg20180822_110814.jpg

20180822_110905.jpg20180822_110947.jpg20180822_110953.jpg

20180822_111008.jpg20180822_112322.jpg

10 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Good job Paul, just in time to catch Mars, Meade optics have always been pretty good and then let down by the rest of the engineering.

Dave

When I tried it with the joke focuser it looked very good on the star test. I sent the focuser off to Mark at Moonraker he said did the focuser come out of a cracker cannot rotate it he said never seen anything so bad, was not cheap get the adapter made nearly same price i paid for the scope but you cannot put a price on workmanship I am really pleased how it has turned out.

Looks like a Meade AR5 OTA. Nice job replacing the focuser - not an easy thing to do with the Meade AR's because there are not many slot in solutions like there are for Skywatcher refractors.

You can collimate the objective lens with the AR5's if the star test shows off centre diffraction rings. I've owned two of them, one with good optics and one with a mediocre objective that no amount of collimation would pursuade to do a decent star test.

Hope yours is a good one :smiley:

2 hours ago, John said:

Looks like a Meade AR5 OTA. Nice job replacing the focuser - not an easy thing to do with the Meade AR's because there are not many slot in solutions like there are for Skywatcher refractors.

You can collimate the objective lens with the AR5's if the star test shows off centre diffraction rings. I've owned two of them, one with good optics and one with a mediocre objective that no amount of collimation would pursuade to do a decent star test.

Hope yours is a good one :smiley:

Its a Meade LXD 55 emc 127 achromatic think they are very similar to the AR5`s if it does need collimating and can be collimated I will not be touching it I will ask on here for help. I do not want to try messing about with the objective lens I am not that confident.

Only for Mark at Moonraker I could not have done it but it looks good now just need that star test make sure I have enough focus. Here is the old focuser.  It has the worm gear on one side and a strip of teflon on the other nothing else.

Archived