Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please Show Me Your Astronomy Chair

One of my best buys 2012, the "Füssener Astro-Stuhl" in the magnum version:

DSC_0586.thumb.JPG.846ea8b79a1acda18720fb9061e0fe95.JPG

Extremely sturdy (Birch plywood and mountain ash (used for traditional sleighs)); the retailer, a man of heavy weight, has been reported to demonstrate it's stability by jumping up and down on the seat board put in the top position!), doesn't topple over; I'm seated safe and comfortably in the highest position when pointing the 18" towards zenith. Easy to handle; you can change the height of the seat within seconds without looking and (it's well balanced) shift it with one hand. Stretched out (using the rope shown), it serves excellent for binocular or meteor observation. Folds down flat to 45 mm thickness, so easily to store and transport. Bought this from here (website in German only; of course, no affiliation etc., just a pleased owner!);

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/zubehoer/astronomie-zubehoer/stuehle/4889-ics-astro-stuhl-magnum-grau-hoehe-115-cm-beobachterstuhl.html

at 248 Euro not cheap - but just the price of a better 2" eyepiece, and much more useful!

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

Extremely sturdy (Birch plywood and mountain ash (used for traditional sleighs)); the retailer, a man of heavy weight, has been reported to demonstrate it's stability by jumping up and down on the seat board put in the top position!), doesn't topple over; I'm seated safe and comfortably in the highest position when pointing the 18" towards zenith. Easy to handle; you can change the height of the seat within seconds without looking and (it's well balanced) shift it with one hand. Stretched out (using the rope shown), it serves excellent for binocular or meteor observation. Folds down flat to 45 mm thickness, so easily to store and transport. Bought this from here (website in German only; of course, no affiliation etc., just a pleased owner!);

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/zubehoer/astronomie-zubehoer/stuehle/4889-ics-astro-stuhl-magnum-grau-hoehe-115-cm-beobachterstuhl.html

at 248 Euro not cheap - but just the price of a better 2" eyepiece, and much more useful!

Stephan

That’s an expensive bit of wood to sit on! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

That’s an expensive bit of wood to sit on! 

Not at all; it's a very sophisticated product, developed by a group of avid stargazers, and it's build oozes quality (e.g. all fittings stainless steel)! A real joy to sit on, moreover for guests in outreach situations, or children. Good value for money.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Stephan

Nice

• Like 1

2 hours ago, refractordude said:

What is the make and model, please.

Sorry, I haven't got a clue! I bought it cheap from a local garden centre about five years ago. They'd bought all new seating for their staff and had several hydraulic swivel chairs on sale for about £10 each. Most of the time I prefer to stand while observing, but there are times when sitting comfortably, especially using a seat with a back rest, is most welcome.

Wow! Being Captain Awkward with the superpower of constantly tripping and falling, these wires could be my ultimate kryptonite. 

Lol.

Actually that's nothing, that image is a few years old, I now run a dual rig with even more cables than previously with an extra Electronic filterwheel, 2nd camera and extra dew heater and 2nd laptop.  I know some people are anal about tidying up their cables but as I change my equipment around frequently it's too problematic to try to do it any other way, so I let it all hang out with a "no walk" zone which I am used to.  

SAME CHAIR THOUGH.  Ha ha.

1268951764_Cablescrop.thumb.jpg.83dbcae90463fc8ab1c3a50755312a53.jpg

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

On 21/08/2018 at 20:56, johninderby said:

Teak garden bench for this evening. Forecast is for heavy cloud but clear skies instead.  ?

2B62ED9D-B7BA-46AB-9FBF-E78DB4379CF3.jpeg

3B69A11C-EAE4-40BC-92B0-4A03088C5B8C.jpeg

Like your setup. Is it the 150 mm version ota? 

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Here is the one I have been promised if I buy any more telescopes ...

Wow!  More telescopes and a nice chair with straps to make sure you don't fall out if you accidentally fall asleep during those late sessions.  What more could you want?

James

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, JamesF said:

Wow!  More telescopes and a nice chair with straps to make sure you don't fall out if you accidentally fall asleep during those late sessions.  What more could you want?

James

Indeed, but its the power options that worry me, not a standard 12v Lithium battery ...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1