SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beginner's list

Thanks for the replies all, these lists should keep me busy for a while.

I've got the cambridge double star atlas, but as a beginner it's hard to know what's easy medium and hard especially when using smaller telescopes.

1 minute ago, leo82 said:

Thanks for the replies all, these lists should keep me busy for a while.

I've got the cambridge double star atlas, but as a beginner it's hard to know what's easy medium and hard especially when using smaller telescopes.

In that case Sisy Haas would also work a treat here, as use both these tomes together to home in on doubles. :) 

3 minutes ago, leo82 said:

Does sissy Haas categorise the lists, I have the charts, if sissy Haas lists are easy to understand then I think it's exactly what I need.

It puts them in order of constellation. Here’s a image I got online showing a page some of Come Berenice’s doubles.

B8E1BADF-A0CF-4E07-8266-7C0317E3913E.thumb.jpeg.5a268c136e0ddbbf57d10b3066556f0e.jpeg

On 21/08/2018 at 20:24, leo82 said:

What would the limit be for a 90mm?

In theory, the best separation with a 90m aperture would be about 1.3 seconds of arc, but it also depends on seeing, transparency, your eyes, and the nature of the target system.  In practice, getting under 2 seconds is good going, 3 or 4 being more manageable.  But that still leaves a very large amount of interesting and varied doubles to enjoy, many with much wider separations.  As Gus says, there are lots of do-able doubles!

Doug.

Archived