SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hallo from Bavaria!

Space Oddities

Hello Stargazers!

After reading SGL for some time now, looking for answers to my very common questions, I finally registered :) 

A few words about myself: I'm fairly new to astronomy and astrophotography. Having lived most of my life in Paris, where you can't see many stars, I never really had the opportunity to dive into this hobby. Even though I've always been fascinated by space, and spent hours watching every documentary I could find about astronomy.

As far as I remember, my first astro-wow was in Finland, where I studied a few years ago. The skies were simply amazing, away from all light pollution, and seeing so many stars was an awesome experience. Not to mention the marvelous Aurorae Borealis (that's actually my 2nd astro-wow!).

The virus was in! But it's truly a couple years ago that I got started, after I moved to Bavaria and its more rural skies. I purchased my first (and modest) mount, an iOptron Skytracker, that allowed me to photograph galaxies and nebulae.

My setup is very limited for now, but lightweight and more than enough for getting started :) 

• iOptron SkyGuider Pro mount
  • A Fujifilm X-T1 for main targets, and a recently acquired ZWO ASI224-MC for planetary imaging
  • Various lenses, but I mainly use a Samyang 135mm f/2 and a Canon 300mm f/4 (+/- 1.4x TC)
  • A small 4" Maksutov (SkyWatcher 102T)

Now, I have a lot to learn, and many unanswered questions (most of which, I haven't even asked myself yet)! Very recently, I discovered planetary imaging, and I'm in the process of testing everything. I've already seen Saturn and its rings through my telescope (yet another astro-wow...), Jupiter's Moons and a fantastic lunar eclipse not long ago. I can't wait to start photographing these!

I'm thinking of creating a blog now, to share my experience as a total beginner. Astrophotography seems quite unreachable to many photographers... But in the meantime, I have achieved nice results with a very limited equipment, and I thought it'd be nice to give my feedback and, maybe, get more people into this hobby!

I'm really looking forward to our discussions! :)

Pierre

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Pierre, and welcome to SGL.

You have a great basic kit for getting some nice images. Have you got a copy of Making Every Photon Count? Will save you a lot of heartache in the steep learning curve that is astrophotography.

As for the rest, "we likes questionses". Post them on the appropriate board (as you think of them) and you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience and a willingness to share it.

Enjoy the journey.

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome :) 

18 hours ago, Kn4fty said:

Howdy from Kentucky! Welcome to the lounge. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Definitely keep us posted about the blog. Have you by chance come across any Domaschkos in Bavaria?

That doesn't ring a bell sorry! :( 

14 hours ago, nucleus23 said:

Hello! where in Bavaria are you located? I also live there ?

I live in Munich :) I started imaging from the Englischer Garten, as I live nearby, but recently started exploring the surroundings. I don't have a car, so I can only rely on the S-Bahn to take me to less light-polluted locations...

What about you?

6 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Pierre, and welcome to SGL.

You have a great basic kit for getting some nice images. Have you got a copy of Making Every Photon Count? Will save you a lot of heartache in the steep learning curve that is astrophotography.

As for the rest, "we likes questionses". Post them on the appropriate board (as you think of them) and you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience and a willingness to share it.

Enjoy the journey.

I didn't know this book. Thank you for your suggestion :)  So far, I have read "The Deep-sky Imaging Primer" by Charles Bracken, and it was indeed very a instructive reading! I was often advised that, in astrophotography, the first thing you should invest in is a good book :) 

Clear skies everyone!

Pierre

• 1 month later...
On 21/08/2018 at 18:44, Kn4fty said:

Howdy from Kentucky! Welcome to the lounge. Sounds like you're off to a good start. Definitely keep us posted about the blog. Have you by chance come across any Domaschkos in Bavaria?

It's finally here! :) 

As promised...

Cheers!

Archived