Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2018 comets

Kn4fty

Just a heads up on some visitors to the inner solar system for the remainder of the year.-

38P/ Stephan Oterma - 5 degrees N of Betelgeuse , mag 10.5 first week of October. Peaks late November, mag 9 near Castor and Pollux. Brighter than 10.5 thru new year's.

64P/ Swift Gehrels- vicinity of Beta Andromedae late October to late November. Mag 11

46P/Wirtanen - apparition ,mag 10.5, near Cetus Fornax border late September. This one will dip south then come back North. Thru November it will increase in mag. Second and third week of December it will be in Taurus and reaching possibly mag 4. Possibility of it being naked eye. Visible throughout the night.

Of course there is also 21P/ Giacobini Zinner that is currently being viewed by many currently. This one will peak about mag 7 in September.

This isn't my research. I found the info on a couple of different websites while looking for dirty snowballs for scope and just passing it on.

Happy comet hunting!

Rob

Demon, I hope it is naked eye, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I always take the predicted magnitude with a grain of salt. 

Kat ,I hope you can see them. I don't remember what websites I found those on, but when I stop by the library today I'll try to find those links again and post them here. They had a lot more than these.

Archived