Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

astroavani

Mars, a brief GIF

b2ceddeb-3826-4a34-8662-7b2e279be35e.gif

Mars, a brief GIF
With the conditions of seeing deteriorating rapidly I could not make a longer GIF, even so I think it can easily perceive the rotation of the planet.
Animation from 6 photos between 03:12 and 03:25 TU on August 13, 2018.
Setup of semore: C14 EDge + ASI 290MC + PM 2X + L filter
by Avani Soares

PS: A pity not being able to post an AVI that has much better quality than a GIF!

Edited by astroavani
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

That is great, Avani. It really demonstrates the rotation in a mere 13 minutes. I always realise how "rushed" I am when taking an image of Jupiter because of its rotation, but had never really considered that when imaging Mars. Could explain a lot!

• Like 2

Superb detail as always Avani, interesting to see the amount of rotation in 13 mins. I generally only do 3 minute runs anyway, but i might try derotating one to see if it improves the details visible.

• Like 1

Great detail, and even more impressive animated .

I tried to create an animation  of Mars over a longer interval using WinJupos, but I can’t seem to figure out how to align the planet with the grid. Any tips there?  It’s so much easier to do with Saturn because of the rings. 

• Like 1

Oh, it's perfect!

The rotation makes the whole thing come to life. Wonderful.

It's a sphere. Just like NASA wants us to believe. That's amazing.

• Like 2

Fantastic animation Avani. Like others I can’t believe the degree of rotation in just 13 mins! I just simulated it in SkySafari and (obviously!) got exactly the same result! It must make it very challenging to image, requiring short video runs to avoid blurring I guess?

• Like 1

Hello Stu

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Fantástica animação Avani. Como outros, não posso acreditar no grau de rotação em apenas 13 minutos! Eu apenas simulei no SkySafari e (obviamente!) Obtive exatamente o mesmo resultado! Deve tornar muito difícil a imagem, exigindo pequenas execuções de vídeo para evitar o embaçamento, eu acho?

As I use colored camera my footage never exceeds 100 seconds. This time does not go so far as to drag the details

• Thanks 1

Avani, your likes to posts ratio is almost 5:1, which must surely be the highest on here and not surprising. Everytime you post an image we know we're guaranteed something special, so thanks again for another masterpiece!

• Like 1