Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at Andromeda

simondodd

So here is my first attempt at capturing Andromeda. Moving onto the next attempt I'm going to take a LOT more light frames and use the guider as well. I'm pretty happy with it so far though...

130PDS - HEQ5, No Guiding (this time), Nikon D5000

48 Light, 20 Dark, 19 Flat, 16 Bias, ISO 1000, 25s. 

Andromeda V1.3.jpg

That's a really strong start--a lot better than my first! :D

You could try taking flat frames--cover the end of your scope with a white T-shirt and point it at a screen open in notepad (i.e. plain white screen). You can add these in Deep Sky Stacker, and they will go a long way to removing the dimmer corners! :) 

Be glad you have those go-to motors. ;) 

John

40 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

That's a really strong start--a lot better than my first! :D

You could try taking flat frames--cover the end of your scope with a white T-shirt and point it at a screen open in notepad (i.e. plain white screen). You can add these in Deep Sky Stacker, and they will go a long way to removing the dimmer corners! :) 

Be glad you have those go-to motors. ;) 

John

Yep, my next attempt will have a load of flats properly aligned as well as the guiding scope plugged in so hopefully it will be much better!

2 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Worth getting APT working though you need a shutter cable  read this first https://ideiki.com/astro/usersguide/canon_nikon_shutter_cables.htm

Yeah I've got all the right cables but haven't had a proper session with it yet. Hopefully next time I will have it properly setup with guiding and APT and I should get some much better results!

Well last night I went for it with over 2 hours of subs, however I got my camera in the wrong orientation :( Missed the sides of the galaxy :( I've not finished processing it yet but here is a glimpse at what I've got so far...

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 12.16.51.png

Archived