SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sharpless 2-188 The Dolphin Nebula

Petergoodhew

6 minutes ago, Petergoodhew said:

I wish I could say that it was Göran, but I would be lying!  I let SGP choose the RA and Dec settings, and the rest was down to the existing camera orientation.

I guessed so but it worked out really well!

PS. why is it called the Dolphin nebula? At least in your version it really looks like an alien see-through head with a well vascularized brain and a nasty little alien mouth....

That is really nice!

31 minutes ago, gorann said:

PS. why is it called the Dolphin nebula? At least in your version it really looks like an alien see-through head with a well vascularized brain and a nasty little alien mouth....

Presumably because the part of the nebula normally captured is a dolphin sort of shape? The brightest part kinda looks like a curved dolphin shape, the tail is at the bottom edge in this photo.

John

5 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

That is really nice!

Presumably because the part of the nebula normally captured is a dolphin sort of shape? The brightest part kinda looks like a curved dolphin shape.

John

I see. And Peter has clearly gone deeper than a dophin

Great image. I've marked this up on my sky safari target list to try with my night vision (where I am having plenty of success moving through the sharpness catalog). If it's really faint as you describe then I won't set my hopes too high...

Archived