Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

daveangie0110

Please help what scope to get !!

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a new scope, after days of searching on the internet, i have narrowed my search down to these scopes, what are peoples thoughts on these, i will be using the new scope just for imaging with a Canon 600D and next year a cooled ZWO camera, the scopes i have been looking at are:

William optics ZS103 doublet FPL53 710mm focal length

Altiar 80ED-R doublet SFPL53 555mm focal length

Altair 80EDR-T triplet FCD100 480mm focal length

TS-Optics 80 triplet FPL53 480mm focal length

Is there really a big difference between a good doublet and a triplet using the same glass ? 

The guy who runs our local astronomy club said not to get a triplet due to the issues i may have with it (Pinched optics, cool down times) and he said that if he showed me a picture from a good doublet and compared it with one of the above triplets i would not tell the difference. 

Has anyone got these scopes if so can you tell me what your thoughts are on them.

Thanks

William optics are known for inconsistent quality between batches. Cost is also high. A highly experienced Astrophotographer who runs an Astronomy Resort up the French Alps :) suggested the Sky-Watcher Espirit series, in your case an 80mm. If not, go for any scope which gives you interferometry results.  Since I used to work for Opticstar Ltd, Sale, Manchester, I would recommend their Ascension 80ED Triplet F6 which comes with a strehl of 0.92 or higher and is also supplied with a laser interferometry report. During my time there i've seen some really good scopes. I think Gary Palmer (just google him) could say something about Altair scopes as i've seen him use them a lot.

• Thanks 1

I had the Starwave 102mm ED (Altiar) and sold it to an astrophotographer who thinks it's a wonderful scope for the price. I used it for visual and it was very nice too. 

• Thanks 1