Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The ultimate solution for eye floaters

Guest HowieG

4 minutes ago, HowieG said:

I see mine all the time in my 8 inch scope.  At low power, they appear smaller.  At high power, they appear bigger to me.  When the main seahorse one wanders into my field of vision, it casts a shadow regardless of the target I am looking at, or the magnification.  What I do is shake my head a bit and make the darned thing wander off.  Luckily, the seahorse doesn't live right in the middle of my eye.  It wanders in and out.  Unfortunately, the human eye is like that.  Not perfect.  We moan a bit about our scopes not having perfect optics.  We complain about eyepieces having this aberration or that.  What a lot of folks don't consider is the aberrations in their own eyes.  I don't think there is anybody out there whose eyes are aberration free.  Some people have pretty darned good vision, but perfection is out of reach.  Frankly, I find it amazing that we can even collimate a telescope without our own eyes messing us up.

Sounds like yours are pretty bad in that case, sorry to read that. Have you tried Binoviewing?

I agree about people not considering their own eyesight in the whole equation, it must make a huge difference. I've said on here a number of times, if both my eyes were like my right eye then I would have given up planetary observing long ago. Luckily my dominant left eye is much better despite having the worst floaters... 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RayD said:

Superb Stu, thanks.  I definitely will and would look forward to meeting you.  If you don't mind me having a look I'd really appreciate that as this could be a huge help for me.

Of course, you are more than welcome to have a look. It can take a while to get used to them though, took me a number of years to be happy that I wasn't missing out for planetary observing, I think I had to retrain my brain!

Guest HowieG
3 minutes ago, RayD said:

I do suffer with both eyes but would say the right is slightly worse, and that is my dominant eye.  I don't seem to notice them when using binoculars for some reason, but I have never really linked binoculars and bino viewers, which is probably because I'm dim.

Well, I certainly hope they work for you!

Guest HowieG
5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Sounds like yours are pretty bad in that case, sorry to read that. Have you tried Binoviewing?

I agree about people not considering their own eyesight in the whole equation, it must make a huge difference. I've said on here a number of times, if both my eyes were like my right eye then I would have given up planetary observing long ago. Luckily my dominant left eye is much better despite having the worst floaters... 

No, they aren't that bad.  Just annoying.  No, I have not tried binos.  Might be worthwhile.  Isn't it a bit expensive doubling up on your eyepieces?  

20 minutes ago, HowieG said:

No, they aren't that bad.  Just annoying.  No, I have not tried binos.  Might be worthwhile.  Isn't it a bit expensive doubling up on your eyepieces?  

I tend not to have many different pairs as I only really use them at high power. I actually have a pair of 25mm Zeiss orthos (ex microscope eyepieces) which are amazingly sharp with very low scatter and they Barlow very well, up to x4 and more so I easily get x200 with these. For Ha solar I just use 32mm and 40mm Plossls, quite cheap and give good results.

Archived