SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rats!

laser_jock99

I think one thing I have learned is that an infestation soon stops becoming an annoyance and turns to a matter of life and death, critters that chew through mains cables can kill you so at some point you have to take control.

I am all for controls and indeed some of the ultrasonic devices do work but wont shift any that are in residence but will deter others looking for a home.

Alan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Do you kill flies or musquitos? What planet do you come from?? So you think your aggresive reaction is ok? ?

No I don't kill flies and I only kill mosquitoes if they attack me, you killed an innocent creature for doing nothing that couldn't be fixed or repaired, did it deserve to die because you didn't want mole hills in your grass, you fail to answer why you didn't just capture it and take it to a rural field or similar.

I am passionate about all life, been a vegetarian/vegan for nearly 36 years and i have always instilled in others the need to care about the path we tread, I don't going shouting about my beliefs unless someone chooses to destroy life without any remorse, that's what made me angry...you didn't care about taking the life of a harmless creature.

I'm not going to add to this thread any more, I've said my piece and it won't bring that moles life back will it, but if it makes you think next time then it was worth it.

Goodnight.

I didn't do anything to the moles when I had my infestation, I just left them alone to go on their own, which they did and I haven't been troubled by them since.  I just levelled the ground to remove the mole hills.  I did see a dead mole on a concrete path a couple of weeks ago which I moved to a rough area for nature to take it's course.  I was sad to see it.

I too don't like killing things although I make an exception if it's "self-defence". Mosquitos, ticks, horseflies bite and can kill in some cases, so self-defence seems a good strategy. Blowflies bring disease into the house and are similarly a threat.

Rats spread very unpleasant diseases to humans, and although they are intelligent and interesting mammals, they should be deterred if at all possible. I've tried captive traps, but the rats laughed at me, took the bait and triggered the trap, but were never inside. My cat on the other hand is effective! She rarely kills one, but if she does it is with a single bite to the neck - no playing. Just having a cat around seems to deter them - in times when we've not had a cat they appear in numbers during the harvest, sometimes in their hundreds flowing along the roads near our house in a manner that is reminiscent of "The Pied Piper of Hameln" story.

Moles? No problem here, chalk/limestone 6" down...... I do think they are cute though.

Chris

• 1 month later...
On 22/08/2018 at 09:47, chiltonstar said:

I too don't like killing things although I make an exception if it's "self-defence". Mosquitos, ticks, horseflies bite and can kill in some cases, so self-defence seems a good strategy...

Chris

We live in West Sussex and I was bitten by Blandford Flies a few years ago. They are very nasty. I even had the red line going up my lymph system on one occasion and had to take aunty biotics!

On 29/09/2018 at 14:39, Stargazer33 said:

We live in West Sussex and I was bitten by Blandford Flies a few years ago. They are very nasty. I even had the red line going up my lymph system on one occasion and had to take aunty biotics!

Sounds nasty- got to keep an eye that kind of thing!

Archived