SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rats!

laser_jock99

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yet... but the stink when you take care of your yard?

I got a mole in my yard... pfff incredible what a mess they make of a garden, especially the lawn.
I tried to chase it away with ultra sound, water and carbide... nothing helped, just more corridors. at last, in desperation I set a trap and killed it.
It is said that only one mole lives on every 2000-3000 m², so that single soletairy mole costed me a fortune, not only by trying to get rid of it, but also what it ruined on plants... On top of that the cats of my neighbours, trying to catch the mole dug holes and used my garden as a toilet... So now I dig up a cat's turd on a regular bases when I trie to replant.... no fun...

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I've got armoured cable to my obsy, would that be chew proof?

Carole 

SWA cable is rat proof though they may chew the outer plastic sheath.

I came across a young fox in the garage nonchalantly chewing through some cables to my wifes railway, gave me a stare then sauntered off down the tunnel :grin:

Dave

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

I tried to chase it away with ultra sound, water and carbide... nothing helped, just more corridors. at last, in desperation I set a trap and killed it.

How very sad, there's no need to kill anything in life when there is an alternative, when I catch field mice and the occasional rat, I transport them down to the local stream and let them live their lives by the river bank. Please let nature take it's course, not destroy it, thank-you.

How very sad, there's no need to kill anything in life when there is an alternative, when I catch field mice and the occasional rat, I transport them down to the local stream and let them live their lives by the river bank. Please let nature take it's course, not destroy it, thank-you.

I agree, we get rodents in the house from time to time, cannot fathom out how they get in, and I set a humane trap and take them to the local Country Park and set them free, I could not kill anything even spiders that I loathe, I have a spider picker upper with a long handle, or if he's around, Hubby is good at putting them out.

Carole 

I dont like to see anything killed but my mouse infestation was bad, I think the cat may have killed three or four (its instant with him not like a trap or poison) but the remaining forty or fifty legged it out of the house never to return. The only critters I cant abide are flies they are everywhere this year and I am glad my Venus flytraps and Pitcher plants are doing what they do best.

Alan

9 hours ago, JamesF said:

This isn't actually a view supported by the RSPB.  They reckon domestic cats have no impact on bird populations in the UK.

James

That may be the official line, but one has to consider where a major proportion of the RSPB's revenue comes from; namely membership subs. Not good business to upset the membership! ?

It's difficult to get accurate data. After all, it's not that easy to do a controlled study, but I find it difficult to believe you can introduce a top predator into the environment and expect zero impact. Just my view ?

9 hours ago, Waldemar said:

I got a mole in my yard... pfff incredible what a mess they make of a garden, especially the lawn.
It is said that only one mole lives on every 2000-3000 m², so that single soletairy mole costed me a fortune, not only by trying to get rid of it, but also what it ruined on plants...

12 hours ago, Waldemar said:

yet... but the stink when you take care of your yard?

It is said that only one mole lives on every 2000-3000 m², so that single soletairy mole costed me a fortune, not only by trying to get rid of it, but also what it ruined on plants... On top of that the cats of my neighbours, trying to catch the mole dug holes and used my garden as a toilet... So now I dig up a cat's turd on a regular bases when I trie to replant.... no fun...

Are you familiar with Jasper Carrott's mole sketch?  Check it out ?

Darn it - just noticed later posts about the mole sketch! Sorry to be late off the mark - bloomin' funny though!

Whoahahaha ... that was more familiar to me than I like... but very funny indeed:-)

14 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I dont like to see anything killed but my mouse infestation was bad, I think the cat may have killed three or four (its instant with him not like a trap or poison) but the remaining forty or fifty legged it out of the house never to return. The only critters I cant abide are flies they are everywhere this year and I am glad my Venus flytraps and Pitcher plants are doing what they do best.

Alan

Cats do not kill instantly, they play with them till they die of stress or exhaustion. Poison is even worse and kills a lot more than you realize...

A trap is quite humane because it kills instantly. No suffering and no sideeffects. 

A deterrent is the best option (as long as it works - I tried a few electronic device which had absolutely no effect!).  I hate killing too.  Including wasps which gave me almost a phobia when I was very young and got badly stung!!

6 hours ago, Waldemar said:

Whoahahaha ... that was more familiar to me than I like... but very funny indeed:-)

Cats do not kill instantly, they play with them till they die of stress or exhaustion. Poison is even worse and kills a lot more than you realize...

A trap is quite humane because it kills instantly. No suffering and no sideeffects. 

But there was no need to kill in the first place, a bit of common sense and take the mole out into a field and let it free was the right thing to do, just because it did what comes naturally in life you chose to end its life so very wrong?

Squirrels are another big cause of house fires as they nest in lofts in the winter and chew cables.  I had them in my loft and was advised to get rid of them ASAP.  I found the entry hole and evicted them, but they cause an estimated £20m a year of damage to properties, including loft fires.

I believe domestic cats are not necessarily the best rat hunters, but outdoor (wild or feral) cats do a great job.  We had a resident wild cat in Spain that used to come along daily and we had no rats at all.  That cat disappeared and we had a few rats rear their heads, but another one came along and we no longer have any rats again.  I understand cats will only kill rats or mice if they are very hungry, which is why domestic cats normally just play with them rather than eat them, inevitably leading to heart attacks etc.  Our wild cats in Spain eat them, so we don't put down any rat poison and rely on them doing what comes naturally to them.

7 minutes ago, RayD said:

Squirrels are another big cause of house fires as they nest in lofts in the winter and chew cables.  I had them in my loft and was advised to get rid of them ASAP.  I found the entry hole and evicted them, but they cause an estimated £20m a year of damage to properties, including loft fires.

I believe domestic cats are not necessarily the best rat hunters, but outdoor (wild or feral) cats do a great job.  We had a resident wild cat in Spain that used to come along daily and we had no rats at all.  That cat disappeared and we had a few rats rear their heads, but another one came along and we no longer have any rats again.  I understand cats will only kill rats or mice if they are very hungry, which is why domestic cats normally just play with them rather than eat them, inevitably leading to heart attacks etc.  Our wild cats in Spain eat them, so we don't put down any rat poison and rely on them doing what comes naturally to them.

Some of this wild cat behavior depends on the breed of cat, my Maine Coon thinks its his job to protect the house against all intruders and have seen him in action, he certainly doesn't play with them and will hit a rat with so much force that its instant death. 

Alan

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Some of this wild cat behavior depends on the breed of cat, my Maine Coon thinks its his job to protect the house against all intruders and have seen him in action, he certainly doesn't play with them and will hit a rat with so much force that its instant death. 

Alan

Oh yes, I think certain ones like yours are a bit of an exception, Alan. 

I watched that cat documentary series on the TV earlier this year and it was there that they said generally domestic cats only play with rats and mice, and the idea that they bring them indoors to show them to owners etc. is a fallacy.  They said they bring them indoors as that is where they are comfortable and is their safe place.

I saw our older ginger cat catch and eat a lizard, and a rat straight after, and have to say neither stood a chance.

10 minutes ago, RayD said:

Oh yes, I think certain ones like yours are a bit of an exception, Alan. 

I watched that cat documentary series on the TV earlier this year and it was there that they said generally domestic cats only play with rats and mice, and the idea that they bring them indoors to show them to owners etc. is a fallacy.  They said they bring them indoors as that is where they are comfortable and is their safe place.

I saw our older ginger cat catch and eat a lizard, and a rat straight after, and have to say neither stood a chance.

You are right though in that a lot of domestic cats dont have that instinct so will play with them without realizing that a large Rat can do serious damage to them, the smart ones soon learn and dont mess about.

My Cat never goes hungry so do think its a genuine attempt by him to keep them out, funny thing is he has never been interested in birds if anything he is scared of them.

Alan

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

funny thing is he has never been interested in birds if anything he is scared of them.

You know this is odd as my Mum has 2 rescue cats which are male and female siblings.  The male cat hunts birds incessantly, but the female cat runs away from them, especially pigeons.

Yes, the occasional mouse in the obsy here as well, but so far just mouse droppings, no chewed cables, I have a wooden box that holds the pc etc, in winter it's on 24/7, they love the warmth, so that's where the trap lives, and it's checked daily.

A bit OT, but we have an infestation of grey squirrels, attracted by the bird feeders.  Our dog loves the challenge, her tally stands at 2.5 kills so far (I had to finish the last one off) not bad for a thirteen year old (the dog not me?)

3 hours ago, Jkulin said:

But there was no need to kill in the first place, a bit of common sense and take the mole out into a field and let it free was the right thing to do, just because it did what comes naturally in life you chose to end its life so very wrong?

Do you kill flies or musquitos? What planet do you come from?? So you think your aggresive reaction is ok? ?

Archived