SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Rats!

laser_jock99

Came to power up the 12V to the EQ6 and dew heaters the other night, nothing - no power to either device. This forced an end to the planned observing session.

I pulled up the obsy floorboards the following morning to find this- rats (or something else able to bite through 2.5mm sq copper) had cut the 12V lines in several places and had a good go at the USB's too. The 240V cables to the pier had not been touched fortunately.

43232579355_5b9587f69a_b.jpg

43420500754_2071b45474_b.jpg

44139489131_8d155bd619_b.jpg

The cables in question were pinned to the joists but not in any kind of conduit- they are now!

43420508304_6057cb345c_b.jpg

It has taken the best part of eight years for this attack to occur- but in future I will put all rodent accessable cables in some kind of trunking.

And just in case Mr Rat decides to make a return visit - I left him a present.....

42330992300_a67d97e8f3_b.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, laser_jock99 said:

The 240V cables to the pier had not been touched fortunately.

Mores the pity, that would have sorted the rats, or mice,  both love to chew and sharpen their teeth. 

Find their entry/exit point and block/shield that some how. Could possibly re-enforce your cabling through conduit.

I feel for you! I just found a mice nest in my obsy pc with two mice still inside. Had to chuck it out as it was contaminated and chewed through several wires. I wondered why it wouldn't work. Then after a few months they had nested in my battery box. that I could save with some washing. They chewed a few wires in there too. I have located where they have entered and now blocked off. 

Sorry - missed some of the text between the images. 

I see now you mentioned conduit, thats good.

Whatever you block or shield, wire gauze is useful, the stuff they sell in Halfords for body work repairs! Its easily manageable, but you still need and do need  some ventilation under there.

6 minutes ago, emadmoussa said:

Oh, Wow!!

Your rats must be mutants, otherwise, this would happen to them... 

Thats gotta stink!
I can visually deal with most things messed up, blooded, dead, you name it, but smells..Oh no! that heaves my stomach :icon_puke_r:

1 hour ago, Spikey said:

Probably mice, not rats. They seem to like the PVC shielding. I've seen them make quick work of aviation electrics and electronics in rural hangars ?

Yes, I've had a mouse chew through a low voltage cable. I know it was a mouse because the cable was powered. It turns out that 12V is enough to zap a small furry rodent. There does seem to be something that attracts them to plastic.
There is also the issue that as nights draw in, wildlife starts to look for places to over-winter.

Not just rats and mice, either.  Rabbits can be tempted too, so I've been told by more than one person.

Years back some friends of mine had "house rabbits".  I was probably more amused than I should have been when told that one of them had eaten all the buttons off the television remote control :D

James

My plan is to run my underfloor cables in waste water pipe, as I seem to have a fair bit of that lying about.

Rats and mice can be total ninjas when it comes to getting at something they can eat though.  My chicken feeders are suspended on chains from a piece of timber screwed across the tops of two posts so there's nothing for rodents to climb up directly to the food and even if they came down the chain there's a hood that overhangs the food by quite some margin.

A few months back I caught sight of a rat taking a run-up to get up one of the posts and then jumping directly over to the food before it ran out of steam, pulling itself up by its front legs!

I now have the posts much further apart :)

James

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

Get a cat problem solved :icon_biggrin:

Alan

Sadly not.  Well, not if you feed the cat, anyhow.  They're as likely to bring the rodent into the house to show you how clever they are.  Alive, like as not.  And then they get bored and let it go.  Having a loose rat in the house is no fun, believe me.  I've had to shoot them with the air rifle before now because we couldn't trap them.  And you've got to be sure, too.  The last thing you need is a maimed rat crawling off somewhere inaccessible to die and stink the place out.

I am aware of people who use cats for rodent control, but it always seems to involve making sure they stay hungry and I find it all a bit disturbing, personally.

James

5 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Sadly not.  Well, not if you feed the cat, anyhow.  They're as likely to bring the rodent into the house to show you how clever they are.  Alive, like as not.  And then they get bored and let it go.  Having a loose rat in the house is no fun, believe me.  I've had to shoot them with the air rifle before now because we couldn't trap them.  And you've got to be sure, too.  The last thing you need is a maimed rat crawling off somewhere inaccessible to die and stink the place out.

I am aware of people who use cats for rodent control, but it always seems to involve making sure they stay hungry and I find it all a bit disturbing, personally.

James

I must be lucky then had a massive mouse infestation one year and borrowed my daughters cat, within a day they were gone never to come back and the cat stayed too.

My cat is well fed but I still find the odd dead rat in the garden if they stray close to the house, not a mark on them like they have been killed by a ninja.

Alan

I do think you must be lucky.  Ours bring in mice, rats, rabbits, birds, shrews, moles, even a nest full of pheasant chicks once :(  I have no idea how they got that last one through the cat flap.  And often it's just to play with.  That might be the case with the rats you find outdoors, to be honest.  They'll catch something and then let it run just so they can catch it again, until the poor creature basically dies of stress and exhaustion.  Sometimes to make it a bit more tricky they'll grab the animal by the scruff of the neck and flick it up into the air as well.  Then for no apparent reason they lose interest and if it still has the will to live or has found a place the cat can't reach it the "victim" may find a place to hide and recover.

James

Unfortunately my cat is a killer, he soon learnt having bits of his ears chewed off that he had to finish them quick, he is a big Maine Coon so will take down anything smaller that a horse. He loves dogs though.

Alan 

I have to say that I hate cats!

A major contributor to the huge reduction in indigenous wildlife, especially bird life. Cats are a bigger problem than rodents in my opinion (although admittedly they don't chew through cables!). 

I had a rat infestation in the house a while back - it was absolutely horrific!!!  Cured eventually thank goodness.  Now new neighbours have two cats who visit my garden and I've not seen trace of a rat since.

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

A major contributor to the huge reduction in indigenous wildlife, especially bird life.

This isn't actually a view supported by the RSPB.  They reckon domestic cats have no impact on bird populations in the UK.

James

I leaned that my (bloomin' neighbour's) "Bee-friendly" ground creeping IVY
"provides a good home" for Rats. ? But, nature is a complex Web right? ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Was_an_Old_Lady_Who_Swallowed_a_Fly

Some Cats seem to be inate killers. Some seem (accident or [owner] design)
to have no idea! Good feeding, Keeping kittens "in" until maturity may help? 

I felt very uncomfortable recently reading of the number of species (we) as
humans had "erased"... and still continue to do so... It's a hard question... ?

9 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Unfortunately my cat is a killer, he soon learnt having bits of his ears chewed off that he had to finish them quick, he is a big Maine Coon so will take down anything smaller that a horse. He loves dogs though.

Alan 

To kill and eat you mean?

2 hours ago, Gina said:

I had a rat infestation in the house a while back - it was absolutely horrific!!!  Cured eventually thank goodness.  Now new neighbours have two cats who visit my garden and I've not seen trace of a rat since.

But how about the smell of cat pee and poop and all the dying plants ...?
I love all animals except flies and musquitos, but not if they ruin my yard, moles, rats, mice or cats alike.

Archived