Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Carl Reade

Anyone doing hydrogen line observing?

On 16/01/2020 at 01:01, Carl Reade said:

It will work fine. I think what UR is saying is the plate on the feed is a reflector which it is but not the main reflector.

Copper will need sprayed with a coating to protect it from the weather. Keep us updated on the build.👍

So now, two months later, I still haven't made first light. Software (I use Cotos VIRGO) is ready, feed is beside LNA done and I think I have a place to put it now.

My problem now is, I think I have destroyed my LNA... 

Does anyone here know a good and cheap(<30€) LNA that I has a USB plug onboard!! and doesn't need to be soldered anywhere? 

Thank you all,

Fedor

On 17/03/2020 at 17:25, Kaffeedor said:

So now, two months later, I still haven't made first light. Software (I use Cotos VIRGO) is ready, feed is beside LNA done and I think I have a place to put it now.

My problem now is, I think I have destroyed my LNA... 

Does anyone here know a good and cheap(<30€) LNA that I has a USB plug onboard!! and doesn't need to be soldered anywhere? 

Thank you all,

Fedor

Hi there are quite a few options on eBay at that price. Wideband LNAs with a bias tee circuit or screw terminals for power. Why do you think yo destroyed your current one?

Carl

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Carl Reade said:

Hi there are quite a few options on eBay at that price. Wideband LNAs with a bias tee circuit or screw terminals for power. Why do you think yo destroyed your current one?

Carl

Hello,

I now ordered the (more expensive than eBay ones), 'Nooelec SAWbird+ H1 Barebones', as it has a Micro USB port as power connection. Should arrive on Monday

I wanted to resolder the '+' connection on the old one but then the 'Plate' were the connection was on the LNA got of and now there is no connection between '+' and anything other in the LNA. Also one of SMA connections is tilted slightly

Unrelated:

How young is the youngest person you know of who build a Radio Telescope?

Do you know good books/magazine related to Radio Astronomy? 

Fedor

JPEG_20200317_173410.jpg

JPEG_20200317_172137.jpg

Edited by Kaffeedor

Hi not sure who the youngest would be. Not too many magazines on the subject it's a small sport. SARA group is very good to join.

This site has been invaluable for me the CFRAD software works great. Have a read at the projects section particularly 3 and 9 to see what is achievable with the basics.

http://parac.eu/

• Like 1

What materials do I need to build a radio telescope for hydrogen line? What program do I use to obtain and analyze the data?

What materials do I need to build a radio telescope for hydrogen line? What program do I use to obtain and analyze the data?

9 hours ago, gabrielxp46 said:

Hi if you have a read through the thread most of what you are asking is in there.

What is the minimum distance between the PC and the antenna so that there is no interference between the equipment?

10 hours ago, gabrielxp46 said:

What is the minimum distance between the PC and the antenna so that there is no interference between the equipment?

Hi probably around a minimum of 5 meters of distance from radio gear to PC. It would also be beneficial to have the receiver in a metal box.

I have had the receiver beside the PC without any problems but depends on your rf environment. You won't know what interference, if any, until you look at the band.

Regards Carl

On 10/08/2020 at 17:37, gabrielxp46 said:

What is the material of the horn feed? Could it be zinc?

Can be a any type of metal, but needs to be weather resistant.