Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Too much stuff?

Over the last few years, I have accumulated many pieces of what I considered at the time to be "essential" equipment, whether to see better, guide better or take better images.

This year I decided enough was enough, no more expensive purchases, make do with what I've got, even cut back to the bare essentials.

Initial results over the last couple of months observing and imaging Jupiter, Saturn and even Mars have been positive.

Battling with my off-axis guider, trying to find stars that PHD2 won't reject: did I really need to astromodify my DSLR?: do I really see planets better with my binoviewer? Is that 2" diagonal and set of 2" eyepieces a step forward? Does my star tracker really give me pin-point stars? Do all those filters give me better images?

One thing I don't regret spending money on is a dew controller: not only does it power several dew bands but my DSLR as well, via an adapter.

I suspect the answer lies somewhere in the middle and I am not using the equipment to its full potential.

But nothing can beat just looking up at the sky on a clear night with a sense of wonder: the constellations, the Milky Way, the odd Perseid; they're all there waiting.

Celestron 9.25 SCT: AVX mount. Kendrick DigiFire 8 Dew Controller.

Baader Crayford focuser: Celestron 1.25” diagonal, CrossAim 12.5mm illuminated reticule eyepiece. 32mm, 20mm, 15mm eyepieces. Baader single polarising filter, neodymium and I/R cut filter, moon filter. 2x Barlow. Celestron f6.3 reducer/corrector.

Altair 2’ star diagonal: Omegon 32 and 22mm 2” eyepieces.

Vixen Polarie star tracker: Canon 18-55mm lens, Sigma 70-300mm lens.

2’’ moon and sky-glow filter, 2” variable polarising filter. William Optics Binoviewers, 20mm eyepieces.

Astro-modded Canon EOS 550D. Celestron off-axis guider.

Altair GP-cam CCD camera.

oh yes......  even worse if you get a good observatory  clear out  'deal'.

I could not resist 2 such offers a few years ago..... ( hindsight ?? what's that !! )   and have ended up with lots of (possibly)  useful bits ....and err.... 3 x 200mm F5 Newts !!!

How did that happen... well it did.  

I need rehab.

I completely get you... there are items in my utility box that I never or hardly every use. There is such a thing as over accessorizing. I'm thinking of eBaying half my gear, the stuff that I haven't used in 2 or 3 years.

10 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

I completely get you... there are items in my utility box that I never or hardly every use. There is such a thing as over accessorizing. I'm thinking of eBaying half my gear, the stuff that I haven't used in 2 or 3 years.

Then someone who doesn't need it will buy it!    ?

Archived