Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Specter hunting 16/8/18

domstar

A lot had improved from the previous night. A darker spot, no chill, no dew, no slug on my case, a flask of tea and detailed notes. Now with only four Messier objects left to complete the set, I had written down, as near to exactly as I get, where I could find the ones that I'd missed the day before. 

First up was M5 the Rose cluster in Serpens. As soon as the moon disappeared behind the trees I found it clearly. I had spent an hour looking in  the wrong place previously. Then to M55 the Specter cluster very low to the southwest of Mars. Using a planet as the start of a star hop makes it easy to start but rather short-termed. I won't be able to use this experience next time. Anyway, searching for M5 was like looking for a white smudge against a sea of very light grey. I gave up after twenty minutes and went for M102 the Spindle galaxy. My research proved worthwhile and I found it quickly and clearly. It was lovely and I spent a while taking it in. 

Back to M55 from Mars to Terebellum IV to two little stars to a jump into white space, flail around a bit and start again at Mars. I tried with a UHC filter and found something. I was pretty sure, but nothing I would swear to in a court of law. When I lost it I couldn't find it again. I wanted to claim it but I wasn't convinced. My back was screaming at me to give up so I did.  A little interlude of a few recent favourites M10 and M12 in Ophiuchus and the Andromeda galaxy and friends. 

By this time Mars had moved out of the worst of the eastern light pollution so I gave it another try. I found it. Definitely this time. Very specter-like. I was so pleased. I thought I'd celebrate with the Great Cluster in Hercules but I'd lost all tenacity and couldn't summon the willpower to find something so high in the sky so I celebrated with a cup of tea and a Cigar (and Bodes).

So just one more Messier object until I've 'seen' them all. It's M30 in Capricorn. It's not as low as some of the others but I'm a little concerned about the moist air in September. Anyway, a nearly completed list suits my personality a lot better.

Thanks for reading.

Dominic

Archived