Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars Post-Opposition 2018 17 August

orion25

The dust storm continues to dissipate as Mars moves away from us! I'm beginning to see more in the eyepiece as well, and the Mars filters are really doing their jobs. I find that the Orion filter seems to have the edge now with its deeper hue as it cuts the glare a bit more than the Celestron, and highlights the dark maria and south polar cap. I imaged using three cameras with my Orion SkyView Pro 180mm and 127mm Maks Thursday night/Friday morning: the Orion 5MP, the ZWO ASI224 MC and the analog Orion Deep Space Video Camera II. The image posted here was the best, coming from the Orion 5MP with the 180mm Mak, processed in Registax 6. The detail was close to what I could see in the eyepiece with the Mars filter:

238974253_ASTRONOMY-MARSPOST-OPPOSITION(5MP)8-17-18CAPTIONSM.thumb.jpg.835516ab69010b97b379431b68859a32.jpg

Dust-free skies!

Reggie :D 

Very nice image @orion25 That's also very close of what I could see at the eyepiece myself. I had a good time at 212x on Mars last Thursday with the Celestron Mars filter, exceptional high power available. 

Thanks for sharing your image, this is getting very interesting  ?

Thanks for sharing the image, looking good. Confirms some of the dark markings I was seeing earlier this week. It's also reminded me to dig my filters out, most of the time I do not use them. 

Dave

4 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Looking much better Reggie. Great shot. Still only had one brief view of Mars with the new filter, and this weekend is not looking good weather wise to view it again alas. 

Thanks, Gus. Now is the time to really get out there and observe! Soon, I'll be putting my imaging gear to rest for a bit and just "focus" on observing for a while :) 

4 hours ago, N3ptune said:

Very nice image @orion25 That's also very close of what I could see at the eyepiece myself. I had a good time at 212x on Mars last Thursday with the Celestron Mars filter, exceptional high power available. 

Thanks for sharing your image, this is getting very interesting  ?

Thanks, N3ptune. Yes, things are getting very interesting ;) 

4 hours ago, Dave1 said:

Thanks for sharing the image, looking good. Confirms some of the dark markings I was seeing earlier this week. It's also reminded me to dig my filters out, most of the time I do not use them. 

Dave

Thanks, Dave. Yes, now would be the time to dig out the filters. Do you have a Mars filter (#30 or #32 magenta)? I have the Orion and the Celestron Mars filters and they really do the trick.

Archived