Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heart Nebula HaSHO

Rodd

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 with 3um Astrodon filters.  I was finally able to capture SII.  All the data for this project was collected during nights when you look at the stars and try to determine whether it is clear or not.  A bit of Moon for the Ha, and humid haze for the OIII and SII.  Its always a bad sign when you have trouble spotting any stars.  But the subs were coming out ok.....and the computer screen DOES steal ones ability to effectively stargaze, right?.  Oh, the pleasures of narrowband--I don't think broadband would have yielded usable data.  still, I found this image particularly tricky to process.  

HaSHO-3b-MTr-c2-g3.thumb.jpg.514f368fa97c8dde0d18a84ebaeee583.jpg

14 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice Rodd. I really like the 'depth' in the image. I might have to go back to this target myself and try and get some SII.

Thank you for sharing.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.  I am never regretful after collecting SII.  This target makes a nice bicolor, and contrasting the 2 is fun

Rodd

28 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Stunning! 

Another image that is pushing me towards narrow band

thanks for sharing 

Bryan 

Thanks Bryan.  Narrowband is allot of fun.  It doesn't get the respect that LRGB does in some respect, which I think is too bad.  True, the palette is more forgiving as "anything goes" is often said of narrowband.  But I don't really believe that.  Once you have chosen your palette, you must (should IMO) stay true to it as you do with LRGB.  Bicolor HOO images are very nice, and OII and Ha are assigned  to colors that make sense with respect to their positions in the EM spectrum.  For the Hubbell Palette, Ha is the oddball really--being used for green.  But I remove all visible vestiges  green from my Hubbell palette images, so its not so bad.  Often narrowband is the only data I can collect due to the Moon and sky conditions.  There is a reason NASA chose to use narrowband for the amazing images published from the HT data--because the structures visible are much more defined than in broadband data.  While its true that a good imager/processor can render a luminance channel collected from a dark sky site that is high in structure, low in noise and with high contrast, it is also true that the same imager from the same site will produce an Ha channel that far surpasses the luminance in these qualities (provided there are Ha emissions in the target).  Gassy is another aspect that is desirable--something my narrowband mages can lack if I push too far.  

In the end, anything that extends imaging time by 20-30% (or more) can't be bad, right?

Rodd 

Blenda.thumb.jpg.e7ae57b695c612ba8f797561aa3f7229.jpg

Edit--here is a Bicolor HOO image blended with the above--just to give you an idea of some fun you can have.

6 minutes ago, Shibby said:

Very classy! I particularly like the bi-colour.

Thanks Lewis.  This bicolor is a blend of the HaSHO and the true bicolor featured  in an earlier post.  I like the bicolor too as far a palette goes.  But the SII really does accentuate some structures (hence the blend!)

Rodd

24 minutes ago, Shibby said:

Well it certainly works well. Not sure how you blended the two and maintained the RGB style colour balance, did you blend in the luminance?

Nothing as fancy and elaborate.  I simply combined the 2 in pixel math at 50-50 ratios (Pixel Math is a PI thing--maybe it crosses platforms--not sure).  It was just an experiment!

Rodd

16 minutes ago, evil_yoda said:

Those are amazing images, Rodd. I hope you don't mind if I use one of them for my desktop wallpaper.

Very much looking forward to moving on from the DSLR and getting a ASI1600 now. 

Thanks Evil Yoda (cis-Darth Vadar?).  I don't mind at all.  Enjoy!

Rodd

58 minutes ago, graemlourens said:

Hi Rodd.

Stunning image!! Nothing to complain, except your after-post-changes ? The first version nailed it in my opinion, but its a purely personal taste this narrowband adventures of ours!

Kind regards, Graem

Thanks Graem.  I don't think the first one is bad at all.....but the last one is clearer, and the palette is truer to the plan, namely in the reduction  of purple.  Fine details are sharper as well in spots--such as Mel 15 and some of the ridges.  Then again. I have spent time flipping between them unsure! You know, If I had more clear nights I probably would not have reprocessed it!  

Rodd

Archived