SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron astromaster AZ

nightfisher

OK. Just tried my 66ED-R ‘frac on the AZ Mount I got with the Astromaster 70AZ scope which is languishing up in the loft now. The original dovetail attached to the ‘frac goes into the mount OK,  but I have another dovetail attached onto the original dovetail to stop it marking the dovetail which is then too tight for it to fit in, so the dovetail may or may not fit it depending on size. The one that doesn’t fit is slighly wider by about just over 1mm, and higher by around 1.5mm. If I remember the dovetail on my Opticstar I’m pretty sure it was not as chunky as the dovetail I have that doesn’t fit, but again you would have to test it. The only thing I would be warey of would be the balance of the scope as you move it around in altitude. My frac weighs in at 2.5kg and as long as I held on to the adjustment bar when altering the height of the scope it was OK, but the weight if I let go of the handle would make the ‘frac easily plummet either down or up. With extreme care you could use this mount I think, but you would always have to make sure it was locked in position before you took your hand off the altitude adjustment bar. The original scope on the mount was extremely light so this was less of a problem with the mount.

Archived