Narrowband

Splitting the Double Double...

F15Rules

Been out with the tak 102 and the Ed 80 tonight and tried the DD split again with a pocket full of eyepieces.

Conditions were not ideal with a layer of high cloud but seeing was steady.

Tried Mars first and picked out some detail and the polar cap with the 4 mm Nirvana despite the bird feeders getting in the way the ruined my vision for a while on mr blobby.

After a brew and to give my eyes a bit of relief over to the D/D

Started with the 5mm Tak LE in both scopes and worked down.

With the 102 I managed to split the D/D with the 18mm Tak LE which gives about x46 ( most pleasing view 7.5 tak LE about x110)

With Eddy I split it with a 12.5 tak LE giving about x48 but could not with the Nirvana 16mm

i don't have the FS60 to try it with at the moment.

Can barely see Luna now so its time for a beer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back in after an hour out with the FS128 and the double double again ?..

I confirmed that I could not split below x59 (Morpheus 17.5mm) and then only the bottom pair - the top pair were definitely elongated but not a clean split.

At x95 (Morph 17.5 - 1.6x Barlow nosepiece) I got a very clean and comfortable split, but probably the most pleasing split was at x173 (new-to-me Vixen LV 6mm and BGO 6mm). The LV giving much the more comfortable view of the two 6mm's, but the Baader perhaps a tiny touch darker background - not at all certain though and on comfort I think I'd take the LV6 - a very nice eyepiece.

Just for fun I then put in a Parks Gold series 3.8mm and was rewarded with a wonderful high power view at 273x.

Interestingly, I also spent 20 minutes trying to hunt down some of the fainter stars between the two Epsilon pairs..the one main star is very obvious in a 4' refractor, and quite bright in the FS128, but the other stars take much more effort to tease out. I got three in total for sure, with a fourth suspected but not confirmed. I found that the higher powers at 6mm and 3.8mm made the fainter stars pop out with mainly averted vision and the darker background that the higher magnification creates.

How many of the fainter stars between the Epsilon pairs have you spotted, and with what aperture?

All in all a lovely hour spent with this fascinating system, and I've come inside a very happy bunny??.

Dave

6 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Interestingly, I also spent 20 minutes trying to hunt down some of the fainter stars between the two Epsilon pairs..the one main star is very obvious in a 4' refractor, and quite bright in the FS128, but the other stars take much more effort to tease out. I got three in total for sure, with a fourth suspected but not confirmed. I found that the higher powers at 6mm and 3.8mm made the fainter stars pop out with mainly averted vision and the darker background that the higher magnification creates.

How many of the fainter stars between the Epsilon pairs have you spotted, and with what aperture?

In addition to the obvious one quoted, my 180 Mak (10mm ortho, x270) shows a pair that I can see direct vision, and another pair that appear with averted vision.

There is another post with some images of these:-

Chris

Threads like this are great because they encourage time to be spent on a target, which always seems to reward in unexpected ways :thumbright:

One of the things I like to pick out in Epsilon Lyrae are the contrasting tint and brightness (nearly 1 mag difference I believe) of the closer pair STF 2383). Also pondering that Neptunes disk will fit in between the slightly wider pair STF 2382.

I think I observe this marvellous set of stars practically everytime I have a scope out and Lyra is well placed. It's a "must see" :smiley:

Even my non-astro minded brother was impressed when I showed him this object a few weeks back - and it takes a lot to impress him !

4 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

In addition to the obvious one quoted, my 180 Mak (10mm ortho, x270) shows a pair that I can see direct vision, and another pair that appear with averted vision.

There is another post with some images of these:-

Chris

Chris, that's a great link, thank you!

I think that the first sketch most clearly depicts what I was seeing. (I congratulate the original sketcher! ).

It's inverted and back to front to what I saw (probably observed in a Newtonian?), so if you turn it "upside down" and look at the line of 4 faint stars in a line about half way between Epsilon pair 1 and pair 2,  back to front on that image, then I could see 2 of those stars directly, with the fainter 2 with averted vision (the faintest of the 4 was popping in and out of vision).

Here is that image below - I have turned it upside down to the original, so the pairs are as I saw them, but the line of stars is the opposite right/left to what I saw (as I couldn't alter the image that way). Hope that makes sense!

So I was detecting some pretty faint stars with my not too special eyes, and the night was good seeing wise, but transparency only about 3/5 I would say. Interestingly, the moon began to be visible in the last 20 minutes or so of the session (just after midnight), and it then became more difficult to pin these faint stars down - even though the Moon was only now half past full and low down.

Quite happy  to have seen these?

Dave

epsilon-lyrae-lg2.jpg

Archived