SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first fuzzy: M31 with bino

Orac

Finaly I found my first fuzzy. Still waiting for my telescope so I thought to dust of my bino. Just to enjoy the skies. 

Found Cassiopeia. No problems there. But Andromeda has always eluded me. But tonight I finally found it. I was scanning in the general area of where I thought it should be.  But found a star, and above that a triangel of stars and just above that. Tada the fuzzy! Yeah. Turns out I found Mirach and from there on it was easy sailing. Just a fuzzy blob but I am very happy now. Will recommend the Pocket Sky Atlas. Now waiting for Turn Left At Orion (I have ordered the new edition due in october). 

Oh in case you have not noticed, I am still a noob. But a happy one. ?

Once you have found it once or twice you'll find that you can go to it easily. Seeing conditions also makes such a difference. On a so so night m31 may just be just a fuzzy blob but on a good night the shape and extent becomes much clearer. Quality and aperture of binos clearly makes a difference too but enjoy what you have.

6 hours ago, Alfian said:

Once you have found it once or twice you'll find that you can go to it easily. Seeing conditions also makes such a difference. On a so so night m31 may just be just a fuzzy blob but on a good night the shape and extent becomes much clearer. Quality and aperture of binos clearly makes a difference too but enjoy what you have.

I went back several times and each time I could find it faster using Mirach at my starting point. In hindsight I think M31 was what gave me up years ago. I could not find it, not with my bino and not with my old goto telescope. That was really frustrating. With the help of a sky chart it was much easier. Lesson learned: plan ahead, learn the general layout and use a map. 

Archived