Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Came across this handy little gadget

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a wired one like this, then moved on to the wireless version for ease of use (and not having something hanging off the camera body) . Invaluable if you aren't doing pc control... 

I've been using one with my NIkon D3100 for a while. Very useful gadget as I can set it going while I do some visual stuff. Wouldn't be without one now for astrophotography. Pity I can't get an equivalent for the D3400.

On 17/08/2018 at 18:52, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Found this second-hand at a camera store nearby

IMG_20180817_193747.thumb.jpg.406fc199b33b9a09bb735e8657125059.jpg

Could be most useful when I want to do imaging with the Canon EOS 550D without dragging the computer along. Cheap as chips, and in perfect condition.

One from the 'bay is all I use for imaging with the 450D. I had one for the 10D as well. Just replace the batteries within a month or two of the low battery symbol appearing! The manual button is great for target framing.

I use 4 seconds delay (just to give me time to place it on the tripod tray), exposures as required, and 10 seconds between subs to allow plenty of write time (4 secs min with 450D) and to let the sensor cool a little.

Only downside is you can't use mirror lock, but any mirror shake is over in a fraction of a second and doesn't materially affect subs of more than a few seconds long.

And switch that damn beeper off too!

Accuracy? On a 10-minute exposure it consistently gives 601 seconds...

My 1000D has one built into a hand grip that takes two batteries I picked up for £9!

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Only downside is you can't use mirror lock, but any mirror shake is over in a fraction of a second and doesn't materially affect subs of more than a few seconds long.

You can incorporate mirror lock if the camera supports it. What you need to do is set the camera to mirror lockup up then set the self timer function to 10 seconds, when the intervalometer runs it it triggers the lock up only but the cameras internal timer then opens the shutter after 10 seconds, the intervalometer then stops the exposure after x seconds and the cycle repeats. You have to incorporate the extra delays though in the overall timer settings.

Alan

8 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

You can incorporate mirror lock if the camera supports it. What you need to do is set the camera to mirror lockup up then set the self timer function to 10 seconds, when the intervalometer runs it it triggers the lock up only but the cameras internal timer then opens the shutter after 10 seconds, the intervalometer then stops the exposure after x seconds and the cycle repeats. You have to incorporate the extra delays though in the overall timer settings.

Alan

Oooh that's clever!

Archived