Narrowband

South Wales meet

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,

The three of us went...

and didnt have to wait long for clear skies and the frost to start forming...

Although Visually quite dark Photographically there was LP down low on the Horizon especially to the NE-SE behind pen-y-fan whicjh would be merthyr and the valleys then down towards Cardiff...

It was strange driving home on the Powys roads where only the occasional streetlight was on until you crossed the county line and back to every light blazing away...

Kev got his first images and I am sure he'll be posting soon I tried and failed with some 10mm widefield shots but the nights goal of getting Kev up and running could be deemed a success :)

Billy...

THANK YOU Helen and Billy for a great night fair play it was a very good venue, most helpful and great company there could have been a couple of disasters like my battery not charged lol um my polar scope didn't fit who needs one lol,i cant wait to have another go imaging im addicted like Billy said a little bit of LP nothing to worry about though,the Milky Way was blazing away cant wait to see the pics Pete ,very foggy driving home just past Abergavenny there was a car upside down just happend everyone ok other than that would have been home earler, when we have another meet which im sure we will its pretty central so most of Wales have no more than a hours drive.once again Peter and Helen thanks for doing that for me :crybaby: :crybaby: im happy.......loads of love kev

Nice to finally meet you and Helen as well Kev... My pics are carp so wont be posting any keepers should have used the 18-80 rather than the 10-20 as its coma city in the images...and I wasn't wiping the dew/frost off between exposures either...

Might post a couple of single subs in this thread so people can get an idea of what the site was like...

Billy...

These are the low res jpegs straight of the camera no tweaking...apart form a resize to 800 wide

Orion Rising taken around 22:00 GMT so Centered in SE direction

10566_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

A single 30s Sub ISO 1600 10mm (15mm effective) F4 of the Milkway looking SE

10567_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

And a single 64s sub... with soft focus creative filter fitted - dew got a lot of them : (

10568_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

MODS/ADMINS ..... Just posted the pics here as they are event/venue related to give people an idea of the skies at the "new" site...

It was good fun, guys :):D . Didn't realise how much moisture there was until I unpacked :shock: I'll remember the view of the double cluster with the ethos in the Megrez 90, but that wasn't nearly as dazzling as Kev's smile when the pictures started appearing :thumbright:

See you soon guys

Helen

yeah that was pretty spectacular the double cluster Helen,and it was wet my coat on the back of the chair was soaked great night,any way hospital here i come later than i thought,wish me luck on my blood results ,i will see you later.......kev :thumbright: ps billy post the pics of us three please that was a laugh.

just about to say no pics anywhere,logged out came back its just not me then.....kev

NO :) and as Ant has pointed out in another thread UK Astronomers is nothing to do with SGL its a separate "entity" - it's just a lot of us use it for hosting out images especially as they provide such a useful link for uploading images...

Anyway ... have you processed the images from last night yet ?

C'mon Kev i would have thought they'd have been up winthin a few hours of getting home - how did the hospital appointment go ? I only stayed about 30 mins after you left when the last battery died on the D200...

hospital went ok,something went pete tong with the bloods down vellindre,and had to be sent to the Heath,got to go back monday,now the important stuff my pics from last night,im going to have a look in a moment lol,new camera see butt got to read the manual just to get them on to the pc the wait will be woth it HA HA......KEV

If you havent got a cardreader in you PC pick up a usb 2.0 one as the 300 is usb 1.0 so up loading form the camera to the pc will take ages...and you need the camera powereed up when your doing it... much easier to have a card reader and pop the card out of the camera and into that...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks who's up for South Wales 2 same venue Brecon visitor center or somewhere else up to you i'm easy ,three of us turned up at the last one last minute,we had fun polar aligning my scope :hello2::D well it worked, anyway to give you a chance to think about coming lets say end of jan begining feb :thumbright: thanks.......kev

I'm up for another one :thumbright: - might bring a friend this time too :hello2: Flexible on timing - although I was thinking of going across to Malvern to the Night of a Thousand telescopes, so may need to avoid that (or get an SGL corner :D )

Helen

I'm up for another one :thumbright: - might bring a friend this time too :hello2: Flexible on timing - although I was thinking of going across to Malvern to the Night of a Thousand telescopes, so may need to avoid that (or get an SGL corner :D )

Helen

Bring a friend thats the way Helen, theres got to be more than three Taffys in S G L more the merrier ,I hope we get more for South Wales 2 im easy and can go any time, we will just let this thread run and see what transpires .........kev :thumbright:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello folks who's up for South Wales 2 same venue Brecon visitor center or somewhere else up to you i'm easy ,three of us turned up at the last one last minute,we had fun polar aligning my scope :D:hello2: well it worked, anyway to give you a chance to think about coming lets say end of jan begining feb :thumbright: thanks.......kev

I'm interested Kev,

I live at Portishead, just on the "wrong" side of the river Severn near J19 on the M5. I've met Helen before (at a small get-together in Thornbury) and I've met Dave (ukbigd) when he bought my 8" dob recently.

I know where the Mountain Centre is if thats were we meet.

I've got a 12" Lightbridge arriving tomorrow and I'd like to give it a run out to some dark skies sometime.

I'll keep in touch with this thread.

Regards,

John

im interested too im in south wales i will have to see with my dad if it's ok for me to come but it would have to be a weekend (im am 14 and im still in school :hello2: ) and i don't know where the mountain centre is but there are plenty of dark spots near me

All the info you need is available from this site...

http://www.breconbeacons.org/content/visit-us/information-centres-new/national-park-visitor-centre/information-services/

Although its part of the National Park and hence open access if you dont let them know your palnning to be there overnight then you might get a visit form security...

Billy...

I'd be interested too....Dave (Milliways) I live in Dilton Marsh about 3 miles from Warminster, Depending on amount of gear etc I don't mind driving to save taking two cars....We could just share the juice and bridge toll...Let me know, also hate to add this but is it poss to do it during a weekend... :hello2:

Archived