SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Old guys do the Veil.

cotterless45

Wow , absolutely astounding night and out until 2.30, sweet.

Visit from the nearby LeeB and four hours later we hit the jackpot. The Milky Way just got better as Cygnus swung around to the south west. The sky was pretty amazing with both transparency, seeing and bright long trailed meteors. We even managed M101. At the zenith the sky was just packed with stars and a tour of the Lacerta clusters in the C6r gave a dense brown granular background .

For the first time from here , edge of town, x50 with Oiii filter perfect views of the Veil. Firstly the Eastern ( network nebula) , very bright following NGC 6992 round to NGC 6995 to IC 1340. Lots of filaments and a grainy appearance. Over to NGC 6960, the" witches broom" ,long arching filaments both sides of 52 Cygni. Then up to NGC 6974 , "Pickering's Triangle", bright to the east and a lovely area to scan around. Both very stunned at the clarity and detail.

Some favourites, M27, M57, M34,NGC 752 , Rukh and a big heads up for Mesartim, the "blue flash"," the cheeseburger", "blue snowball", "Saturn nebula " and the "cats eye". 

An exploration of Cassiopeia and we split the +10 companions to Psi Cassiopeiae. A study of AR Cassiopeiae and we found the A companion at 1" to this septuplet group. There was plenty colour around with quite a few binaries turning up with green companions. Sigma and iota Cassiopeiae were lovely. It's great to show the bright star at x50 , then put in x216 and blow it wide open.

Mars wobbled around , not even an ice cap. Saturn gave a lovely view early on , taking x320. We had a blue disc view of Neptune before reluctantly packing up. 

Memorable night listening to the hedgehog walking by for his drink and snacks. But the Veil, what a view , under 

Clear skies ! Old Nick.

And then you woke up and it was all a dream! :D (At least, for the rest of us!)

It sounds like an absolutely fabulous night.

Was this from home?

Old Guys Do the Veil I did try to picture it Nick!

The "blue flash"," the cheeseburger", "blue snowball", I do wonder where some of the nebula names come from.

Will you be doing a full report with sketches?

Cheers

Fantastic report Nick I might invest in a oiii filter got a uhc maybe the oiii would be better for the veil.

I have never seen the witches broom have see if I can get it in the 5" when it's up and running.

My sky last night was not clear.?

20180816_232637.jpg

Excellent results on the night!  Nice report.  Lovely to see a few of those things you've mentioned, but I didn't make it to the Veil..........and don't think I've got a hedgehog in my yard anymore unless he's really really sneaky ;)    The Ring Nebula looked like a shiny CD turned at an angle, it's that bright!  Cracking view in a 6" frac.

It Twas a great night indeed, the veil was the best I've seen it. Nice to have a long session again, the difference a couple of hours and an OIII filter made to the clarity was amazing. Thanks for an excellent night Nick, now all I need  is a six inch frac again... 

3 hours ago, LeeB said:

It Twas a great night indeed, the veil was the best I've seen it. Nice to have a long session again, the difference a couple of hours and an OIII filter made to the clarity was amazing. Thanks for an excellent night Nick, now all I need  is a six inch frac again... 

I will have to get an Olll filter. Wish i had my 5" inch up and running and been there lousy skies here.

Archived