SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrophotography

I am getting a camera for my skywatcher 200p neq5 pro sync scan for general astrophotography I am planning to capture lunar and planetary and see sky photography so which is better for camera under 400 usd dslr or specialized astronomy camera ,,, my options are ( canon 1300d (t6) unmodfied or celestron skyris 618c or altair gp can 3 385 or  zwo asi 224mc ,,, if there is better cameras please notify me

Hi,

Unfortunately the requirements for planetary/lunar and deep sky are very different, and I know of no camera which can cover both well. The DSLR (I use a modded 1000d) will be quite good for deep sky, although it will always be noisier than a proper astro-CCD (costing thousands of $$$).

For solar system work, you will need a high-speed webcam that can capture small resolution crops easily. I use a very budget ASI120 MC colour cam, I also use this for autoguiding with my EQ5 for DSOs.

I would personally recommend you look for a second hand DSLR, (I picked mine up for about £120) and then an ASI 120 or similar. They should both fit in a $400 budget. That way you can autoguide for deep-sky (the ASI comes with the cables you need, and PHD guiding software is free) and video for the planets and moon.

John

On 16/08/2018 at 22:28, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Hi,

Unfortunately the requirements for planetary/lunar and deep sky are very different, and I know of no camera which can cover both well. The DSLR (I use a modded 1000d) will be quite good for deep sky, although it will always be noisier than a proper astro-CCD (costing thousands of $$$).

For solar system work, you will need a high-speed webcam that can capture small resolution crops easily. I use a very budget ASI120 MC colour cam, I also use this for autoguiding with my EQ5 for DSOs.

I would personally recommend you look for a second hand DSLR, (I picked mine up for about £120) and then an ASI 120 or similar. They should both fit in a $400 budget. That way you can autoguide for deep-sky (the ASI comes with the cables you need, and PHD guiding software is free) and video for the planets and moon.

John

Can you autogide on eq5 pro sync scan mount and how?

I'm not sure your mount will be up to the task of tracking such a big scope for long exposures.  It's still worth trying for the practice and experience but prepare yourself for some difficulties.  As far as cameras go, I recommend buying a modded dslr for deep sky objects.  Take a look as https://cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/Available-Cameras.html  I have used them and Jose has a good rep on these forums.

5 hours ago, astroegy said:

Can you autogide on eq5 pro sync scan mount and how?

Hi,

The easiest method would be to use a 9x50 finder and adapter with an ASI120 as a guide-scope/camera then PHD guiding software connected to your mount with ASCOM. That way you could use the full potential of your goto system. With a smaller scope, no reason it shouldn't work. But weight may be an issue.

I get my non-goto EQ5 deluxe autoguiding and it works quite well, but I am on a 130PDS. I'm just a little concerned that a 200p is a bit heavy. From what I remember-correct me if I'm wrong-the goto mod has a max payload of either 7 or 9 kg depending on who you believe. As you will probably have heard, mounts can carry heavier weights when being used for visual than when imaging. I run on a 7kg payload with my EQ5 and I wouldn't want to go much heavier, even for visual use. ?

I'd follow the sound advice from @scitmon on getting Making Every Photon Count, you can't go wrong with that purchase. Do you have a lighter telescope that you could use, or is your 200p your only scope? For example, a smaller refractor or P-DS series Newtonian like my 130 would do well on that mount. 

If getting a second scope isn't an option (for me it wasn't for a long time) I'd suggest you go for the best planetary imaging camera you can--with a 200mm aperture your 200p should be a good scope to use, and as planetary imaging only requires vaguely accurate tracking while you video, weight wont be much of a concern. No doubt you are already using the motors for goto and tracking while visual observing, and most planetary imaging webcams are lighter than 2" eyepieces. Deep-Sky is overall much harder to master, also more demanding on the kit. The benefit of a good planetary setup is that it can be used almost all the time--the moon is around 70% of nights, if even for a shorter time. You could also consider buying some Astro-Solar film and use your setup for white-light solar observations.

I'm not an expert on planetary imaging, but even with a bottom-of-the-range ASI120, I can get some passable results with a 90mm refractor.

Hope this helps! :)

John

Archived