Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LBN 381 in Cygnus with Planetary Nebula PK 086+05.1 (We 1-10)

Barry-Wilson

This is a rarely imaged nebula and I have wanted to make a deep image after an initial look-see exploratory image I took three years ago. Steve was intrigued too by the manifold appearance of the layered hydrogen emission and there is the small Soap Bubble-like PN too. I have a crop to better show its delicate nature. Of course being located in the Milky Way near Cygnus there is a magnificent starfield that makes for a colourful background - all in all a delight to process.  Having had a busy summer thus far with work and family, just back from annual holiday, I am looking forward to being more active once again.

Planetary nebulae are one of the few classes of celestial objects that are active in every part of the electromagnetic spectrum. These fluorescing and often dusty expanding gaseous envelopes were recently found to be quite complex in their dynamics and morphology, but refined theoretical models can account for these discoveries. Great progress was also made in understanding the mechanisms that shape the nebulae and the spectra of their central stars. In addition, applications for planetary nebulae have been worked out; for example, they have been used as standard candles for long-range distances and as tracers of the enigmatic dark matter (Abstract from "Planetary Nebulae: Understanding the Physical and Chemical Evolution of Dying Stars", Ronald Weinberger & Florian Kerber, Science 30 May 1997: Vol. 276, Issue 5317, pp. 1382-1386 DOI: 10.1126/science.276.5317.1382, http://science.sciencemag.org/content/276/5317/1382).

Details:

• Takahashi FSQ106 at F5
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8 with Astrodon filters
  • Ha 35 x 1200s; Lum 27 x 600s; RGB 24 x 600s each; 28.2 hours integration
  • e-Eye, Extremadura, Spain on our shared remote rig
  • Data acquisition: Steve Milne & Barry Wilson
  • Processed by Barry Wilson.  July and August 2018.

Full frame:

LBN_LRHaGB_Blend1.thumb.jpg.c98b87e0aa05bb52dc37addab46cce67.jpg

Crop:

LBN_LRHaGB_Blend1_crop.thumb.jpg.15a3d13e7986114f5e350073ab4d805b.jpg

14 minutes ago, seo said:

Very nice work in both acquiring and data processing. Congrats.

Thank you Dimitris.

10 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Blooming brilliant Barry, and Steve, that bubble is a tricky thing to spot :)

Dave

Cheers Dave.

9 minutes ago, PaulB said:

Nice write-up Barry and. 

And an excellent picture. I can see clearly a Soap bubble Pn

I assume this feature is known?

Thanks Paul.

Yes this feature is known (catalogued and described by Weinberger) although infrequently imaged; there are a handful of images of this target on AstroBin, including my two.

That's great! A new soap bubble. (I find them humiliatingly difficult to spot but I don't tell anyone about that...)

Despite the fact that you are pulling out the faintest of stuff you've given the image your signature 'soft touch' giving the unwary the impression that this might be an easy one, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that it isn't...

Always nice to see something new, too.

Olly

Beautiful image of an interesting and unusual area, but we would expect no different from you these days Barry! My only comment is that I would love to see an adjoining panel below this one - where does all that ruffled-sheet-like hydrogen alpha nebulosity go to??!! As for the soap bubble, brilliant, but it took a bit of spotting. Another great image, well done!

19 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

That's great! A new soap bubble. (I find them humiliatingly difficult to spot but I don't tell anyone about that...)

Despite the fact that you are pulling out the faintest of stuff you've given the image your signature 'soft touch' giving the unwary the impression that this might be an easy one, but I'll bet my bottom dollar that it isn't...

Always nice to see something new, too.

Olly

Thanks very much Olly.

Not easy to process as you correctly suggest: the temptation is to stretch the nebula far too much searching for detail and drama and whilst there is the interesting folded nature of the nebula out right, it is otherwise a billowing wash of Ha.  You will know very well from your dark location, the depth of colour that dark skies bring is breathtaking compared to an urban sky; 4 hours each of RGB also helps.

To illustrate, here is a screenshot of the combined RGB straight after non-linear stretch with absolutely no colour enhancement or saturation - just look at the range of colours in the starfield:

1371397733_ScreenShot2018-08-16at22_22_44.thumb.png.265aef1283499f9ef33dc832c69d0bf8.png

8 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

Beautiful image of an interesting and unusual area, but we would expect no different from you these days Barry! My only comment is that I would love to see an adjoining panel below this one - where does all that ruffled-sheet-like hydrogen alpha nebulosity go to??!! As for the soap bubble, brilliant, but it took a bit of spotting. Another great image, well done!

Me too! There is a splendid Ha mono of this area here.

5 hours ago, coatesg said:

Excellent image, another faint bubble lurking in Cygnus!

Thanks very much Graeme - I so much wanted to show this feature in LHaRGB, it was a bit of a gamble.  It shows in SHO, but it is faint.

Archived