SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

11 x 70 Binoculars - Are they good?

I have been thinking about the maximum size binos that can be hand held for scanning  the sky. 

I have owned 15 x 70 binos in the past. They did not lend themselves to being hand held. They gave great views. But I don't seem to get on with tripod mounted binoculars. 

So I am interested to hear from owners of Lower Power 70 or 60 mm binoculars. Does the lower power allow them to be hand held? 

If not, what are the largest binoculars that can be hand held? 

I have some Opticron 11x70 (older, Japanese ones) which I use hand held quite often for a "quick look". They do show quite a bit more and in more comfort when tripod mounted though. So do 10x50's although those can be hend held for a lot longer.

14 minutes ago, mark81 said:

I have used 11x70s while sitting right back on a recliner - If there are arms to wedge your elbows then your onto something - not ideal though...

Pretty much how I use by 15x70s except that I hold them by the objective lenses with the eyepieces jammed up against my eye sockets/eyeglasses.  It's pretty stable then.

For just about any magnification I prefer some form of binoculars support: I see more detail that way. The support carries the weight of the binoculars and keeps them stable at the same time.

I prefer a monopod. Mine is  not very tall, so I place its foot on a small table. With the pod fully extended I can comfortably look at high altitude objects. For that I move close to the table  so that the monopod is almost vertical and the binoculars are raised high enough to stand under them.

For lower altitude targets I take a step back. The monopod then slants down and the binoculars aren't so high any more.

Easy and fast. I'd certainly need it for 11x.

As above, the monopod is a way to go. Even with my old Zeiss 10x50s, once you get used to using a monopod with a ball head trigger grip, it's more comfortable.

Oddly enough, although I'd used a photo tripod occasionally for binoculars in the past, I hadn't heard of monopods till I joined the forum here! :)

10 minutes ago, trynda1701 said:

Oddly enough, although I'd used a photo tripod occasionally for binoculars in the past, I hadn't heard of monopods till I joined the forum here! :)

Monopods are used extensively in photography where tripods are not allowed without special permits like sports stadium sidelines, legislatures, museums, and the US National Mall.

Archived