Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Selborne

Skywatcher 100 ED Pro Esprit - Great Performance

On 29/10/2018 at 08:35, SteveMunro said:

Hi Jamie, thanks for sharing your incredible Image. I have a quick question, if you don't mind, that is related to both scope and camera (i.e. I own A7rii and I'm wanting to buy the Skywatcher Esprit 100). What mounts are you using to attach the camera to the scope? I've been in touch with Bintel and, unfortunately this time, they are unable to give me the information I need so, as you are using both which I intend to use, can you please let me know how it all came together for you? All the best, Steve

Hi Steve,

I purchased mine from 365 Astronomy, Zoran there is very helpful, he calculated the tube length from the field flattener and put together a set of adapters which allow me to have a native sony mount adapter through to the M48 connection to the field flattener, it was not cheap the whole setup was about £60, but it is the right tool for the right job.

regards

Jamie

You really just need to know, or find out, what the exact distance is from the mating surface of the lens, to the sensor.  For example, on Canon cameras this is usually 44mm, which means T adaptors for them are usually 11mm thick, giving you 55mm, which is the distance required for the SW field flattener.

You don't need to spend fortunes on custom adaptors, you just need to drop a line to Sony tech support and ask them what this distance is and then making up adaptors etc. is easy as you know the distance you're aiming for.  I've had a look and can't find this information, which is why I suggest dropping Sony Tech a line.

Not sure if this helps, but here's a stack from mine at the (almost) default 63mm distance. I've added a .3mm shim to account for the filter, but that's it.

Esprit 100D -> Flattener -> Flattener to M48 -> 0.3mm shim -> Moravian 55mm back focus M48 nosepiece -> FW with Astronomik Ha (1mm) -> Moravian G3 16200

This is just over 5 hours of Ha - 32 x 600. I've done a teensy bit of NR, a few gentle stretches plus some local contrast enhancement. Stars untouched - but they are a little elongated in RA, my guiding RMS needs some work.

Can also post the CCD Inspector maps if that's of interest to people.

HA_quick_sgl.jpg

Edited by Big Jim Slade

I was wondering if the dew shield has to be extended all the way ?? does it really makes a difference ?what if i remove it ?

Edited by Nikolas74
word mistake

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys!i need to make this quick! I want to get a new 6mm eyepiece.I have a 8" f6 dob and i want to get a nice 200 mag and put the telescope to its limits at 400x
      The most i ve seen with is 240x for Jupiter and Saturn .i ve heard they looked stunning at 400x and i am keen on trying it.Ive got my eyes on a 6mm Skywatcher UWA eyepiece.and i have a Bst Starguider 2z Barlow lens.And i seem to be having problems with my 8mm Bst Starguider (300x in total).the bst has a 16mm eye relief and a 21mm lens diameter,but when i barlowed it and look at the moon yesterday,it was hard finding the right spot to look through the eyepiece and when i moved the image disappeared.I dont know if it will have that effect on planets,when I looked at mars it was fine but i definitely want to avoid that from happening again.Will it happen?
      The Skywatcher eyepiece i want to buy has a 16mm eye relief too.I dont want to make the same mistake now , i want a 6mm eyepiece at the price range of 50-70 euro either from flo or amazonuk.If the Skywatcher will have similar results,can you suggest another one?
    • By jadcx
      I bought this second hand, but it was almost untouched, and a relative bargain to boot.  New it costs 1199 EUR from TS (approx. £1035 as of 08/03/2019 but who has any idea how this might fluctuate).

Highlights:
      Apo air-spaced triplet with FPL53 Multiple focus positions thanks to removable tube segments 2.5” rack and pinion focuser, rotatable, dual speed controls, 6kg payload, with printed scale CNC tube rings and dovetail supplied Retractable dew shield  
      First impressions:
      It’s a really nice box.  Whilst it’s described as a ‘transport case’ the supplied storage box is sturdy and well made.  Inside, the foam fit is precise bordering on tight.  It’s actually mildly difficult to get the scope out of the box.  Things get a little easier if you loosen the tube rights slightly, allowing for some tube rotation, and a longer term fix will be some straps to aid lifting the scope out vertically.
      The scope itself feels very well made, and is what I’m choosing to refer to as ‘reassuringly weighty’.  At just over 4kg (without diagonal, eyepiece, or finder) there are definitely lighter options available, but it’s hardly a heavyweight.  The finish is powered coat white, which looks and feels very nice.
      The focuser is very smooth (compared to my SW ED80) and feels pleasingly solid.  I’m not going to be testing the stated 6kg payload any time soon, but I can easily believe it will be able to handle it.
      The dew shield is held in  position with a single thumbscrew, and whilst it’s retractable credentials are clearly warranted, it only seems to extend a couple of centimetres.  As it happens, this takes the overall length down to 450mm which was the very top end of my acceptable range in order to meet my ‘travel’ requirement.  The focuser body also incorporates a finder shoe, but if you wanna  finder then you have to supply your own as there’s nothing included.
      The idea of having additional tube segments is that you don’t have to rack out the focuser so far, and so improves stability.  This also allows for multiple reducer/flattener options for imaging use.  The TS website details the specific configurations using their recommended equipment which provide a faster f/4.9 option for sensors up to 36mm, or a full frame flat image at the standard f/6.6.  I might be exploring these options later, but for now, this is going to be for visual use.

First light:
      OK - this barely counts, but I was impatient.  Predictably enough, first evening with a new telescope and it’s raining.  But I did manage a pretty decent look at my neighbours TV aerial and chimney stack.  They need some re-pointing.

The following evening (9th March 2019) was less rainy, but much the same for cloud, all but for about 30 minutes of relatively clear sky, interrupted regularly by patchy cloud.  So still not great.  However, my ambitious setup to allow for cooling paid off and I did manage a few minutes of actual use with a SW 28mm eyepiece.  The Baader Zoom I also treated myself to for my travel use is frustratingly still not dispatched.  And when I say set-up, I mean just carrying everything outside.  I’m using this on the SW AZ-Gti mount, and a Manfrotto tripod I had already, so it’s very easy to pick up and take outside.
      I was using the scope with one of the two removable sections in place (this is how it is stored in the supplied case) and was able to achieve focus with a 2" diagonal without having to rack out excessively.
      Sirius was an obvious target to the south, and an easy hit.  Brilliantly bright, as expected, and a blue-ish white colour.   The upper half (the rest was below my sightline from home) of Canis Major was easy to see, with several of the background stars also visible.  Despite the less than great seeing, the view was impressive.  Stars were tight and there was no obvious chromatic aberration.   Moving up to Betelgeuse, it’s orange-red brilliance was very pleasing, and again I was able to make out some of the fainter surrounding stars.
      Overall the view was very impressive, and bright.  My only real comparison is with my SW80, and of course I now have over 25% more light, so that’s to be expected.  But still, it makes an obvious difference.  I wasn’t able to note any CA or distortion, and a quick full visible spectrum (no filters) star test reflected spot on collimation and no apparent astigmatism.
      Alas, the break in the patchy clouds did not last long, and I was soon packing up for the night and heading out for a beer.  I’m looking forward to getting some more quality time with this kit, and who knows, I might even align the AZ-Gti next time and write a brief review for that too.

• By Mogfor
      The Horsehead Nebula in Orion. This is one of the first deep space objects I saw in a book as a child and it captured my imagination - I’ve been intrigued by this incredible Universe ever since. As a small child, I’d have been blown away to think that 40 years later, I’d capture this image from my own backyard. I've only been astroimaging for less than a year so would appreciate any constructive comments/ criticism.  Higher resolution version at: https://astrob.in/393553/0/
      I tried something different with this image  as I was severely restricted by time and conditions - battling last months full moon and a small cloud free window of about two hours each evening where the Horsehead appeared between some large trees and the edge of our house!
      I took mainly Ha because of the moonlight but then blended in some Lum and Blue data to one master image. This brought out more detail in some of the nebulosity.  The resulting Master was then processed through the red channel only in PixInsight and Photoshop:
      Ha 36 x 240s
      Lum 25 x 60s
      Blue 20 x 60s
      Scope: Altair 130ED Triplet
      Mount: Celestron CGX

• By Stardweller
      Hello,
      I own a Vixen ED-80 refractor which is used with a custom focuser by Telescope Service.
      (pictured below)
      A Celestron f/6 SCT reducer corrector did not provide decent images either because it is not appropriate or because I did not maintain the correct distance. 
      I am thinking of buying the Sky-Watcher .85x Reducer/Flattener instead, as it is made for similar ED80 telescopes. 
      I do not know what is the correct distance of the SkyWatcher reducer for my setup and more important, I do not know if it will focus with the custom TS focuser.
      Do you have any similar setup that you have used successfully?
      Clear Skies!
      Paul

• By Dinglem
      I've upgraded my focuser so have a Skywatcher Dual-Speed Low Profile 1.25/2" Crayford focuser for sale £70 delivered to UK only.
      Bank transfer or Paypal F&F preferred.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.