SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Various canon battery adapters

bottletopburly

I see the battery adapters have come down in price to around £8 when I got mine they were about £12  , mines been working a treat no issues runs off a 5v 2a usb  obviously ups to voltage to 7.4v  , I plug mine into my usb hub  but can be run of a  usb battery pack , surprised no Astro retailers haven’t stocked @FLOthese AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/Bze2UV7F

They are a good idea but unfortunately wont work with all Canon cameras, I tried one with my 80D while monitoring the current and although it initially powered up it crashed when I selected some camera options, the current reading went from about 800mA to 1.2A at the point of the crash.

There are similar devices though that run off a battery bank that can supply 9V and 12V as well as the std 5.2V.

Alan

I have been looking around and it seems that some models now have two USB plugs, this would increase the max input current to the converter to 4A and so provide for more output which should solve the issues I had.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C3FP2FL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2W9IV2WHKJZJ&psc=1

Most of the larger battery banks have two outputs so this would make a cost effective solution to powering a DSLR.

Alan

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

I have been looking around and it seems that some models now have two USB plugs, this would increase the max input current to the converter to 4A and so provide for more output which should solve the issues I had.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07C3FP2FL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2W9IV2WHKJZJ&psc=1

Most of the larger battery banks have two outputs so this would make a cost effective solution to powering a DSLR.

Alan

When I tried various power adapters out my power bank worked but shut down through inactivity works fine off my usb hub though 5v 2amp

2 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

When I tried various power adapters out my power bank worked but shut down through inactivity works fine off my usb hub though 5v 2amp

The smart battery banks need a bit of standing current to avoid shutdown, this can be done by using a red LED or similar in one of the outputs.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the unit I linked to above and have to say it works with my 80D which is quite a power hungry camera, I will do some DIY on it at some point to make it more robust for my needs. I am using it with one of these, both outputs connected.

1040330525_dslr1.thumb.jpg.94bfeb71853af759a6e8686711e27971.jpg 

This is the power bank I am using.

81LQVdO5LzL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.38b987e541a95f91968582abdd473aa0.jpg

Alan

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

I bought the unit I linked to above and have to say it works with my 80D which is quite a power hungry camera, I will do some DIY on it at some point to make it more robust for my needs. I am using it with one of these, both outputs connected.

1040330525_dslr1.thumb.jpg.94bfeb71853af759a6e8686711e27971.jpg 

This is the power bank I am using.

81LQVdO5LzL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.38b987e541a95f91968582abdd473aa0.jpg

Alan

looking good battery banks are relatively cheap these days ?

2 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Alan

whats your general view of this battery bank as looking to get one myself

Regards

Andy

Its actually very good but as its a "smart" one it will turn off if the output current drops below a certain threshold, this can be easily fixed by adding something like a red LED to the other output.

Alan

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

Its actually very good but as its a "smart" one it will turn off if the output current drops below a certain threshold, this can be easily fixed by adding something like a red LED to the other output.

Alan

Alan,

How did you do that? any photos or diagram on what to build

Andy

9 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Alan,

How did you do that? any photos or diagram on what to build

Andy

Hi Andy,

I used something similar to these, think you can get versions with red LEDs or paint them with nail varnish.

652886298_31nVJGzrhL.jpg.14d01b50cd3cee15aa42838de573d300.jpg

61Dc31s5T0L._SL1100_.thumb.jpg.11dfa744db0677a0775763a0f3d79f82.jpg

No wiring you just plug them into an unused socket.

Alan

P.S. I have my light directed downwards on my EQ3-2 so it stops me kicking or tripping over the tripod legs in the dark.

2 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Hi Andy,

I used something similar to these, think you can get versions with red LEDs or paint them with nail varnish.

652886298_31nVJGzrhL.jpg.14d01b50cd3cee15aa42838de573d300.jpg

61Dc31s5T0L._SL1100_.thumb.jpg.11dfa744db0677a0775763a0f3d79f82.jpg

No wiring you just plug them into an unused socket.

Alan

P.S. I have my light directed downwards on my EQ3-2 so it stops me kicking or tripping over the tripod legs in the dark.

just realised my power bank has a led torch built in

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 13:47, bottletopburly said:

just realised my power bank has a led torch built in

Alan,

Ordered yesterday from Amazon and delivered today. Well impressed with the build quality lets hope the battery life is good. Mine does not have a torch built in though.

Andy

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

Alan,

Ordered yesterday from Amazon and delivered today. Well impressed with the build quality lets hope the battery life is good. Mine does not have a torch built in though.

Andy

Its a nice design, I chose it because it fits the standard mobile phone tripod clamp and of course it looks good.

Had mine for almost a year and its still 100% 

Alan

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Its a nice design, I chose it because it fits the standard mobile phone tripod clamp and of course it looks good.

Had mine for almost a year and its still 100% 

Alan

that's good news as the feedback on the french amazon site was a bit mixed as to the quality heyho it's got 12 months guarantee.

I use a Pegasus Astro DSLR buddy which comes with a dummy battery for Canon cameras. It runs from a 12volt source and it also allows a dew strap to be used. I either use it with mains and a 12 volt adapter or with a Tracer lithium battery. Depends whether I'm tethering to a laptop to control the camera.

Archived