Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Hi all

I'm still transitioning from an unmodified Canon 200D to an Altair Astro 183C pro. I think this might be my best image yet, and the first time I have tried a mosaic.

Its made of two panels, each panel has 20x120s + 30x60s. Stacked and stitched in Astro Pixel Processor and edited in PS CC 2018. I'm pretty pleased!

Scope is a SW ED80 DS pro (reduced to 480mm, f/6) on a HEQ5 pro. Guided with a QHY5L-II in my finderscope.

North america Nebula.jpg

• Like 10

Nicely done, off to a great start!

What reducer are you using on your ED80?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Nicely done, off to a great start!

What reducer are you using on your ED80?

Thank you! :) I use the Altair Astro Lightwave 0.8x reducer 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StaceStar said:

Thank you! :) I use the Altair Astro Lightwave 0.8x reducer 

Super, that seems to be working well.  I'm using the SW 0.85x reducer, good to see other options too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Super, that seems to be working well.  I'm using the SW 0.85x reducer, good to see other options too.

Yeah i had a good look around before I bought it, i like the fact it has a thread for my CLS filter too when I want to use it! 

183c + FF FR.jpg

• Like 1

Hi StaceStar,

Nice picture, although I am not an astrophotography expert, I think you can probably do better with the processing. The transition between the edges of the nebula and the dark background is not smooth like there is too little dynamic range. Maybe you can adjust the stretching and curves, also checking the specs of your camera it seems to have and 8bit mode? Anyway I expect that you will get much better advice from some of the folks on this forum.

Best

53 minutes ago, beka said:

Hi StaceStar,

Nice picture, although I am not an astrophotography expert, I think you can probably do better with the processing. The transition between the edges of the nebula and the dark background is not smooth like there is too little dynamic range. Maybe you can adjust the stretching and curves, also checking the specs of your camera it seems to have and 8bit mode? Anyway I expect that you will get much better advice from some of the folks on this forum.

Best

This was in 12 bit mode :) thanks though! 

4 hours ago, Dragon_Astro said:

Love the colours on this Stacey.

good to see you posting on SGL as well as AA Imaging FB group ?

Thanks very much! Well to be honest i like to share what I'm learning :) warts and all ?

• Like 1

Nice capture, you should indeed be pleased! I think you just need more data - lots of subs with the CMOS should help reduce the noise and make the processing easier.

• Like 1