Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ5 goto latitude degree

msacco

So Im having a problem(I think) with my mount, I added a photo for example so it will be easier to describe my problem.

skywatcher_explorer_200P_EQ5_Pro.thumb.jpg.b1485e857da9ff09c2d45a5953f0a6eb.jpg

So I have only one latitude screw atm, and so far I had no real problems, but Im wondering, if I unscrew all the bolts for the latitude, meaning there's no bolts at all, the mount is at around 30 degrees, and it seems it can't go any lower, because then it will be stuck in the small metal piece where you insert the latitude screw(Im talking about inserting the green screw to the metal piece colored red in the picture), is that the way its supposed to be? Also, when moving the mount up, it gets stuck at around 70 degrees, because the bottom piece inside gets stuck in the same metal piece(the red one).

Now because I have only 1 screw atm, I thought I'll only be able to align up and like 2-3 degrees down because my latitude is usually at 32 degrees, so I just want to get some information about how everything supposed to work, if there's something Im doing wrong maybe, because it makes no sense for me that the lowest latitude is 30 and the highest is 70.

Thanks for the help!

19 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Why do you only have one latitude screw when two are needed to lock it in its position safely and securely? 

Because when I bought it I only recieved one, I'll get another one, but thats not really relevant atm.

8 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

There certainly are lower and upper limits. You really need to replace the front latitude bolt to hold the adjusted latitude in place.

Louise

I can hold the latitude in place, and increase it by a lot, but can't decrease it regardless of the bolt, so what Im doing wrong, or what is wrong with my mount?

7 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

I believe the specification of that mount only allows adjustment between 30 and 90 degrees of latitude.  As said above, you should make it safe by the addition of another bolt anyway.

I know, but until I get that, theoretically, if my latitude is on 32 degrees, and I do polar align, it means that usually the only thing I can do is increase the degrees, which means I don't really need another bolt for an accurate polar align, is that correct? (again, I just want to judge my situation until I'll get my second bolt)

59 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I suggest you try it with one bolt and see. You only ever use one bolt to increase lat and normally another is used to hold it in place - not for adjusting it.

Louise

So until I'll get another bolt, I can pretty much do anything?

5 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

As I already said - try it and see!

It works as I stated in the first post I can adjust the latitude using 1 screw, but I can only increase the latitude, or decrease is by about 2 degrees until it gets stuck in 30 degrees(which thats how it should work according to this?)

20 hours ago, Owmuchonomy said:

I believe the specification of that mount only allows adjustment between 30 and 90 degrees of latitude.  As said above, you should make it safe by the addition of another bolt anyway.

3 minutes ago, msacco said:

It works as I stated in the first post I can adjust the latitude using 1 screw, but I can only increase the latitude, or decrease is by about 2 degrees until it gets stuck in 30 degrees(which thats how it should work according to this?)

I don't know what the lower limit is - it's probably partly determined by the length of the front (north facing) adjustment bolt. I doubt if anyone else here has set up a mount at 30 deg lat. so you'll have to try and see.

Louise

2 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I don't know what the lower limit is - it's probably partly determined by the length of the front (north facing) adjustment bolt. I doubt if anyone else here has set up a mount at 30 deg lat. so you'll have to try and see.

Louise

Ok, thanks.

While waiting for the new latitude bolt to be delivered could you get a bolt with the same thread from a hardware store as a temporary fix.

It does not have to be a Skywatcher bolt to do the job.

BTW you probably know it is best to remove the scope & counterweights  from the mount while adjusting the latitude to avoid straining the remaining bolt.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, msacco said:

So as I already said, obviously its not ideal, but for now, I can just do it with 1 bolt, right?

The extra bolt is to help keep stress off the rear bolt and to lock in the latitude you have adjusted to . If your equipment is of low weight , like a small lightweight refractor then you might be ok but if you bump the underside of your scope by accident you can throw off P.A. badly . Your rear bolt adjust the upward motion only but it does not stop the backward motion  in your mount but the front bolt does stop backward motion . You would experience most of this action if you are imaging  mainly near or on zenith . If your imaging and it passes zenith and you have alot of weight there that shifts it can cause backward motion on the mount therefore ruining your image and being a safety factor of possibility the mount flipping over if it’s not secured well . Why take the risk ?? Why not just do as instructed for your mount ?? It’s really not a big deal . Better safe than sorry . 

Archived