Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY telescope bag/case

msacco

Hello, I have a SkyWatcher 200p telescope, and I'd like to make/buy a bag/case for it as carrying it is not very comfortable, and it will also keep it somewhat safer from impacts etc, so I don't really have an idea where to start, I thought of actually making a bag from zero, buying cordura and things like that, add foam and just make the bag, but I don't really know if I'll manage to do it good enough, so Im just open to ideas and want to hear your thoughts, thanks :)

Try to find a website or retailer who ships to your country at a reasonable price and sells protective cases for musical instruments. I have a bag designed for an electric organ that makes an ideal bag for a large refractor. You might find something suitable.

56 minutes ago, DRT said:

Try to find a website or retailer who ships to your country at a reasonable price and sells protective cases for musical instruments. I have a bag designed for an electric organ that makes an ideal bag for a large refractor. You might find something suitable.

Thats a good idea, I'll try doing that, thanks :)

I thought of maybe using a sleeping bag and simply attaching a back/hand strips to it...or getting a sleeping bag, and cutting it to the size of the tube, and then attaching strips etc, what do you think?

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Check golf and ski bags as well.  They're designed for long objects.

Man golf bags seems really good, but the sizes are just a little too short maybe, idk really, here is the link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PGM-Golf-Bag-Travel-with-Wheels-Large-Capacity-Storage-packeg-Practical-Golf-Foldable-Airplane-Travelling-Bags/32834863788.html?

It is 130cm long, which is way more than enough, but the other dimensions are 27x38, which maybe, might be able to be averaged to 32.5cm for each side, but I don't really know if its possible doing that. My scope is about 23.5cm at the shortest spots, and around 32cm at the longest spots. It looks like a really nice bag, but its so risky ?

Edit - could this work?!@ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Shaddock-Fishing-Portable-Multifunction-Nylon-Fishing-Bags-Fishing-Rod-Bag-Case-Fishing-Tackle-Tools-Storage-Bag/32855594761.html?

its 106x36.5x38cm, Im pretty sure my tube should fit in there, and it seems like there's room for plently more things.

You might have more luck with the type of canvas, cylindrical draw-string duffle bags that are often sold as army surplus.  This is a UK example but I am sure you will find Israeli suppliers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-British-Army-Green-Canvas-Kitbag-Duffle-Bag-Seasack-Good-Condition-/401382545443

Alternatively, if you can lay your hands on some canvas, it is a fairly simple pattern if you are up to heavy duty sewing.  It can then be lined with a foam sleeping mat. ?

Good Luck

John

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b463ba646e05c165cc95082fea24276f.jpgs-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.dc44a581c6dfbbc6decb1c93bc863159.jpgs-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.2c1239a611c6b996048e377dea6e0b0f.jpg

1 hour ago, msacco said:

Edit - could this work?!@ https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Shaddock-Fishing-Portable-Multifunction-Nylon-Fishing-Bags-Fishing-Rod-Bag-Case-Fishing-Tackle-Tools-Storage-Bag/32855594761.html?

its 106x36.5x38cm, Im pretty sure my tube should fit in there, and it seems like there's room for plently more things.

The width might be when flattened.  If so, the tube might be a tight fit.  From Amazon reviews, it appears that an 8" sonotube just fits inside one.  Your scope is probably 9 or 10 inches in diameter and wouldn't fit:

71VgSuGzaqL.jpg

40 minutes ago, westmarch said:

You might have more luck with the type of canvas, cylindrical draw-string duffle bags that are often sold as army surplus.  This is a UK example but I am sure you will find Israeli suppliers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-British-Army-Green-Canvas-Kitbag-Duffle-Bag-Seasack-Good-Condition-/401382545443

Alternatively, if you can lay your hands on some canvas, it is a fairly simple pattern if you are up to heavy duty sewing.  It can then be lined with a foam sleeping mat. ?

Good Luck

John

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.b463ba646e05c165cc95082fea24276f.jpgs-l1600-2.thumb.jpg.dc44a581c6dfbbc6decb1c93bc863159.jpgs-l1600-3.thumb.jpg.2c1239a611c6b996048e377dea6e0b0f.jpg

This should do an amazing job!

Edit - I've seen the dimensions, its 36" tall and 11" in diameter, which Im really not sure if its big enough, it seems just a little bit too small for my scope.

My scope is around 93cm long(which is about 36.5"), and the diameter in the longest parts is around 12.5" I believe ?

33 minutes ago, Louis D said:

The width might be when flattened.  If so, the tube might be a tight fit.  From Amazon reviews, it appears that an 8" sonotube just fits inside one.  Your scope is probably 9 or 10 inches in diameter and wouldn't fit:

71VgSuGzaqL.jpg

Thats sad, it seems quite nice :[ Thanks!

Edit - Im not 100% about the fit tbh, for example here:

image.png.cb06e51c0a4dafd9c2aa020ba2ded99b.png

It seems like there's quite a lot of room left, what do you think?

24 minutes ago, Louis D said:

If you just want something to add handles to the tube, search "scope totes" online to get some ideas about how to put a strap with a handle around the tube.

I thought of it, but I want something more secure then that.

Thank you guys! your comments are awesome, keep giving out ideas ^_^

So I've found this bag:

57f345dad4b3bb7a9e9620589b68930a_500--li

In some places I saw that the dimensions of the bag are 100x48x45, and in others I've seen 100x45x43, but either way, it should be way more than enough for me, as my tube is around 32cm in the longest area of the eye scope, so I believe it should be a nice bag, and the price is pretty amazing only around 50$. I think I'll also use a foam I have in my home and shape it for the tube.

Archived