SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Kelling Heath - Autumn 2018

daz

10 hours ago, gooseholla said:

I went five years ago and discovered I hated camping, and spent most of the time seeing family on the other side of Norfolk. Did no observing, but can't fault the site, people or the darkness during this event! Really worth it, but alas, probaby not for me to try again.

John

I've been going for 7 years (Spring and Autumn) and came to the same conclusion in April - I hate camping LOL!

However, after some encouragement from friends I usually meet up with there, I realised it was the cooking element I hated, so uncomfortable and such a pain in the ....neck.

So, I decided to go to the Autumn party as planned - just minus the cooking ? 

Makes all the difference on my outlook of the event.

David

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, David_L said:

I've been going for 7 years (Spring and Autumn) and came to the same conclusion in April - I hate camping LOL!

However, after some encouragement from friends I usually meet up with there, I realised it was the cooking element I hated, so uncomfortable and such a pain in the ....neck.

So, I decided to go to the Autumn party as planned - just minus the cooking ? 

Makes all the difference on my outlook of the event.

David

I've been going with my wife since 2012 and no way would my wife consider camping, so we opted for the best of both worlds with me pitching a 40+ year old frame tent along side my rig, but also renting one of the static homes for my wife to sleep in comfort. Obviously a more expensive solution, but it worked great meaning that there was somewhere comfortable for my wife, plus all the home comforts to prepare meals, take a shower, keep clothes dry, etc. and to be able relax during the day, plus on cloudy/rainy nights I was tucked up in a comfortable bed (?), with the tent only used to crash in the early morning hours after those long clear night sessions. I'd leave the car parked by the tent with all my astro accessories ready for a night's imaging, set up the scope before dark, then walk to the static to have dinner with my wife, before returning to the pitch for the astro.

Since we moved to south Norfolk a couple of years ago I no longer have a portable rig, so we now just rent one of the static homes (this year a Nightjar, but we've previously rented both Herons and a Woodland Lodge), using the opportunity to catch up with friends and make new acquantances, grabbing some big dob views if I can, or helping with imaging if needed.

Cheers,  Geof

Well I can safely say I quite enjoyed my first Kelling star party, nice to meet up with some new faces of people on my Facebook plus catch up with some folk from SGL. Nice to see @Michael Morris  @Tim again & @Grant I hope your shins are ok after your stumble over the barrier Grant I hear FLO sell red torches cough!! ? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/red-light-astronomy-torches/celestron-night-vision-red-led-torch.html

Nice to see @daz & Mrs Daz too, shame the weather wasn't great but to those staying I hope you get some clear skies....

jTFyVEW.jpg

Dang, I don’t arrive until Saturday, so what chance everything will be gone....!! ?

I arrived at 2.30 on the same day as the queue and they were offering me pitches in the trees which I declined.  Some-how they managed to find me a decent pitch for next year, but it has become a real farce.  

Had a great time socially, but the clear skies were conspicuous by their absence.  

Saw Daz, and David L who were pitched near me including the adorable Lyra.  Also saw Michael Morris, Dave Smith and Peter Drew introduced himself to me who I had met before, but hadn't put two and two together and when I did I realised he had given me much mirth on previous SGL threads, most notably his award winning untidy "office".  Plus many other lovely people. 

Geof Lewis came and found me and we had a good chat.  So lovely to meet up with people from these forums.  Pretty sure I saw Anne S but she was chatting to some-one when I passed her. 

Carole 

11 minutes ago, tich said:

Well I can safely say I quite enjoyed my first Kelling star party, nice to meet up with some new faces of people on my Facebook plus catch up with some folk from SGL. Nice to see @Michael Morris  @Tim again & @Grant I hope your shins are ok after your stumble over the barrier Grant I hear FLO sell red torches cough!! ? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/red-light-astronomy-torches/celestron-night-vision-red-led-torch.html

Nice to see @daz & Mrs Daz too, shame the weather wasn't great but to those staying I hope you get some clear skies....

jTFyVEW.jpg

I completely forgot about that! That barrier completely took me out - glad it was dark because I must’ve looked a proper wally!

Good to see you again Titch ?

Definitely going to get one of those red light head torches for the SGL SP (and a crash helmet!)

11 hours ago, carastro said:

Geof Lewis came and found me and we had a good chat.  So lovely to meet up with people from these forums.  Pretty sure I saw Anne S but she was chatting to some-one when I passed her. 

A good chat plus some excellent tuition for me by Carole on using Registar and PS to get better star alignment and star colour ?. Now I have to put the lessons into practice. Thanks Carole.

No observing done at all so far, but I’m really pleased to have caught up with a bunch of long term astro friends and met some new folks in person, so for me it’s been an excellent experience despite the poor skies.

My wife and I are also booked into the same static for next years autumn event, so see you all next year.

Geof

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Pretty sure I saw Anne S but she was chatting to some-one when I passed her

It was definitely me. We were there from the Thursday and haven't left yet. Clear skies promised for Wednesday night, we're supposed to be going home Thursday!

I did get 50 minutes imaging M82 with my Hypercam on the Friday.

I hope Sgl is better.

Just back home from Kelling after another, as usual enjoyable event. The weather could have been kinder but we had two good sessions on Thursday and Friday nights. Solar viewing was as minimum as the current cycle, daytime skies were generally cloudy with a very gusty wind. Enough time however to try out some of the kit that we brought as well as a SW 150 F8 achro which I bought s/h on the Saturday, seemed to have good optics.

SGL members that I recall meeting were Paulastro, Carastro, Geoflewis, PhilJ, Es Reid, Daz, Anne S, Mike Morris and David Galvin. Booked again in the same spot next year so hope to add to the list.    ?

Images show my trusty 6" PST mod, the SW150 and the SW 150ED that was on show.

008.JPG

009.JPG

007.JPG

10 hours ago, JOC said:

Is it me or is that a stonking telescope in the picture above, it must be all of 8 foot  long, the focal length must be huge.  Is it for something special like the planets?

No, it's not "you". The telescope is 7 foot long.  ?  The objective is a 5" F15 triplet apochromat, originally by Ross of London but refigured by the legendary Horace Dall. The lens is approximately 100 years old. Definitely a lunar and planetary telescope.

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

The telescope is 7 foot long.  ?  The objective is a 5" F15 triplet apochromat, originally by Ross of London but refigured by the legendary Horace Dall. The lens is approximately 100 years old. Definitely a lunar and planetary telescope.

I knew it was something special when I saw it.  I like looking at photos of everyone's kit in the various threads and the moment I saw the photo above I could tell that it wasn't a usual 'run of the mill' telescope.  I've also learned about Horace Dall from the internet so many thanks for enlightening me ?

22 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

SGL members that I recall meeting were Paulastro, Carastro, Geoflewis, PhilJ, Es Reid, Daz, Anne S, Mike Morris and David Galvin. Booked again in the same spot next year so hope to add to the list.    ?

It was good to meet you too Peter. I’m still here hoping for a clear night tonight and will be back next year ?. Geof

Archived