Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking to get a DC Power Inserter for my radio telescope

20 hours ago, Carl Reade said:

I'm supplying the LNA with around 9 or 10V. I attach the Voltmeter to the OUT SMA port (only 0.24V...):

You should be looking for DC on the ANT socket on the LNA (the input that connects to the antenna/LNB), Not the OUT socket which goes to the receiver.  You were lucky.  If there had been DC on the input (ANT), it might have damaged the HackRF.  There was no need to connect the HackRF when doing this test.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@robin_astro: I first tried it without the HackRF connected, but after not getting any "exciting" results, someone suggested I have it connected as it may provide some power? Anyway, I tried both ways as I showed in the pictures, but no luck, so I see myself getting a Bias Tee.

48 minutes ago, robin_astro said:

I'd probably put the bias T at the receiver end so you don't have to run the power cable to the antenna. (The point of the bias T)

What do you mean? What power cable to the LNB?

1 hour ago, Coto said:

What do you mean? What power cable to the LNB?

The power to the bias T.  The way you show it, you have the bias T at the LNB so you would have to run a separate power cable all the way to the dish. The point of a bias T is so you don't need to do that. You put the bias T at the receiver end and power it from there. The DC for the LNB is then fed up the signal coax.

Archived