SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thanks for having me

BlondeBimbo

25 minutes ago, BlondeBimbo said:

Hi, 

In central Scotland (near Bathgate) - midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Looking for useful advice and help, so thanks for the add.

BB

Hello from NZ.

This is a great forum for advice, worldwide! Just ask away.

Just binos and a cheep hobby scope (refractor).

Looking to get a better scope - but don't want to buy something I would replace later, I do have an issue with light pollution and cover from trees in the garden, and worried about being put off by carting heavy kit up a hill (I have a question about this in the beginner’s area)

BB 

Welcome from a Kaintuck hillbilly! There are so many different scopes out there that you will find what you're looking for. Just go slow and take your time. You've got binos so enjoy using those while you learn the sky. You'll be glad you did later on.

9 hours ago, BlondeBimbo said:

Hi, 

In central Scotland (near Bathgate) - midway between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Looking for useful advice and help, so thanks for the add.

BB

Welcome from land down under

Fathers side of the family related to Malcolm of Argyll, and immigrated to Australia in 1810, mothers side of the family came from the lowlands around same era

Before rushing out and buying a scope, rock up to your local astronomy club, and members only too keen to show you there equipment

Then comes the choice

U want to just observe planets and other DSO's, or want to venture into imagery as well

If just DSO, then cannot go far wrong with a dob

If imagery, then definitely something on a HEQ5 or HEQ6 mount, like a Skywatcher ED80

With ED80, can also fit a solar filter, whole new world again

John

Skywatcher 10 inch Dobson.jpg

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

Hi, BB, and welcome to SGL.

As others have said ... we likes questionses! Just post them on the appropriate board and you will find a wealth of knowledge and experience together with a willingness to share it.

Don't knock "just binos". For my first 30 years in this hobby I used nothing more than a pair of 7x50s ... great way to learn the sky. Cruising the Milky Way through Cygnus and down to Sagittarius at this time of the year with a pair of binos under a dark sky really gives one a sense of the number of stars there are out there!

Enjoy the journey.

Hi Welcome to SGL. I live in Scotland but spend most of my time living and working on Mars (oops, I mean Saudi Arabia). We have wonderful dark skies here almost every night out in the desert. But there is often dust in the air. A clear night in Scotland is hard to beat, I just wish there were more of them!

Archived